What did you do with your flock today?

Got my tinkering done early this morning. Knobs, hardwarecloth, locks etc. Mini coop was even approved. View attachment 3571134This eve the flock was treated to free range for their first time since arrival View attachment 3571115View attachment 3571131
I sat out with my friends for about 1.5 hours. View attachment 3571155View attachment 3571142
A little drama, but mostly very harmonious ♡View attachment 3571156
Looks like everyone is loving the grasses and trees!! And I love your mini coop!! I wish I could build things as fast as you do! I just love the blue poop board in the bigger coop, so fun and perfect!

So I am terrible and finding things in pictures—did not see a nest or eggs 😆😆😆😆 Seriously, in college it was a joke that everyone could spot the animal or thing and I never saw stuff!

Well this is more than just today but I haven't done an update in a while, My rooster died a week ago today, I have no idea what happened or what he died from, I was having my morning coffee outside just watching them, the rooster had been acting funny for a couple of days when all of a sudden he started squawking and jumped up in the air and acted like he was having a seizure, he did the for about a half a minute then rolled over on his back with his feet up, it took me about 30 seconds to get to him in the run, I picked him up and he took one deep breath and died in my hands. He was an awesome little rooster he was a silver duck wing game bantam, I even had him dubbed about a month ago so he would look like a game. To me he was the perfect rooster, I didn't want babies and he couldn't reach the hens anyway and I didn't have to worry about feather loss on the hens like I would from a big rooster. The hens were acting totally lost with him gone so I looked on Craig's List for another Bantam rooster and found one that was just a little over 15 miles away from where I live. The rooster is a white leghorn bantam so I went and got him. He fit right in and the hens acted like he had been there forever so that was great, when he calls them, they all come running to him and he even watches over them when I let them out in the yard to scratch and peck around. Some of y'all might think I'm crazy but if you don't want baby chicks or seeing your hens with feathers scratched out by a big rooster, get a bantam rooster you still have all the perks of a big rooster without the damage to the hens.
Hope y'all all have a blessed day. : )

This morning I told my kiddos that the chickens needed another roosting spot in the run so after a little chalk drawing planning (and a little help from mom with the power tools) they built a thing! The chickens have given their seal of approval 🤩

Attachments

• 20230709_125112.jpg
    20230709_125112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
We are headed the rest of the way home today! Left yesterday morning 😫😫😫 It was so lovely and I cried when we left. The high was 62-66 every day! It’s gonna be over 100 starting Friday…I hate July in Sacramento! 😫😫 But I’m definitely going thru chicken withdrawals! My friend was an awesome chicken sitter and everyone managed to behave and she actually played with the babies and snuggled my sick one at night ❤️❤️ We stopped for the night in Redding after 9 hours and let the kids swim and went to sleep by 9 😁 Had a nice breakfast this morning after sleeping in some. It’s been a really nice break as a family. Even if I didn’t get to see my friend thanks to dumb COVID 😑
A well deserved vacation for you after such a busy year with shows and sports, and all aspects of poultry caring. Please don't melt.

We are headed the rest of the way home today! Left yesterday morning 😫😫😫 It was so lovely and I cried when we left. The high was 62-66 every day! It’s gonna be over 100 starting Friday…I hate July in Sacramento! 😫😫 But I’m definitely going thru chicken withdrawals! My friend was an awesome chicken sitter and everyone managed to behave and she actually played with the babies and snuggled my sick one at night ❤️❤️ We stopped for the night in Redding after 9 hours and let the kids swim and went to sleep by 9 😁 Had a nice breakfast this morning after sleeping in some. It’s been a really nice break as a family. Even if I didn’t get to see my friend thanks to dumb COVID 😑
That looks like a terrific time ♡♡♡ wonderful photos! Kids looks so happy and relaxed. Just perfect!! Great you had good animal care as I know that helps a bunch.
I hope you can jump into your awesome pool and pretend it is not 108° ♡🤞🌊

Looks like everyone is loving the grasses and trees!! And I love your mini coop!! I wish I could build things as fast as you do! I just love the blue poop board in the bigger coop, so fun and perfect!

So I am terrible and finding things in pictures—did not see a nest or eggs 😆😆😆😆 Seriously, in college it was a joke that everyone could spot the animal or thing and I never saw stuff!
That thing.... lol. Started out as a covered sand box, then I made it a brooder box attached to my first mini coop. I gave the coop and all away but the guy did not have room in his truck for everything so left it and well, stalled and stalled and now it is too late. Rolling stones gater no moss right 😂
I wrote him and think he is relieved as he still has not figured out what he is going to do.
So, dh and I had a good start.

Oh gosh, I am the opposite. My dad did books on our national parks and always had kid games in them so I got pretty darn good at it. It's a curse 🤣

Last edited:
This pullet seems to have the largest, reddest comb and wattles. Still need to build that nest box. I guess I could rig up a 5 gallon bucket nest in the run for the time being, just in case one surprises me and lays earlier than expected. LOLView attachment 3571969
Go to a local grocery store and get her a milk crate. : )

Back
Top Bottom