What did you do with your flock today?

We are in another heat wave. Temps are reaching a high of 108 with heat index and the actual temp is only 89. Then for the next 3 days it’s 100-101 without a heat index. Hoping all my babies can get through this heat. I hope everyone else is staying cool!
And I'm happy it stayed dry for the last 3 days...

Spent a little time with the chickens this morning while we got a bit of drizzle from Hurricane Hilary. It’s muggy, but cloudy with a lovely breeze and a smattering of rain. Feels quite nice, wish it would stay a bit longer! 😍

I love this little dude—he’s gonna be one of my bantam Lav cuckoo EE roosters. I decided to name him Colonel Mustard hehe. He’s super sweet and Aria loves him of course.
View attachment 3615900

This guy is Professor Plum, and will also be in my EE flock. He has fantastic barring but his beard isn’t as impressive. I also think he has better potential to use for my d’Anver line if I want barring. He has nice body type.
View attachment 3615902

This girl is Ms Scarlett and while she was supposed to be a Watermaal, she has no crest and a normal rose comb, so I need to figure out what to do about her :) She is tiny, has nice tight feathering, and a beautiful feather sheen 😍😍
View attachment 3615904
View attachment 3615905

And Cookie is doing such a good job mothering her brood. I really love watching them mother the babies.
View attachment 3615906
View attachment 3615908
They are all gorgeous!
I love Col. Mustard, he is a very handsome boy. And what a beard! Please don't be offended in any way but there's something in his eye that said Beaker from the 'The Muppet Show' to me... I think it is a slight hint of panic "why's she taking photos of me?"😂😍

Thanks ☺️

I finally came up with a way to give the babies more space more of the time. It’s just temporary until they grow out enough to manage the ladder and such so rats won’t eat them :) I built an apartment complex haha. Won’t be weighed down by heavy bedding or heavy waterers, but shud handle tiny d’Anvers! Before winter I will secure the roof and brace the sides with some t posts and maybe attach temporary siding, but I feel like it will suffice for maybe 2 months of grow out time :) Hoping this limits rat issues and the downstairs neighbors aren’t too rowdy for the momma and babies 😆🤦🏼‍♀️

View attachment 3616363
What a great idea and build. Love it!

They are all gorgeous!
I love Col. Mustard, he is a very handsome boy. And what a beard! Please don't be offended in any way but there's something in his eye that said Beaker from the 'The Muppet Show' to me... I think it is a slight hint of panic "why's she taking photos of me?"😂😍
Hahaha not even a little bit offended 😆 that is a pretty fantastic name idea for a chicken 😂 Maybe my next Silkie hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom