What did you do with your flock today?

Meet Poppy ♡
20230905_165930.jpg

And Tally ♡
20230907_152425.jpg

My new charges.
Think Tally is going to be a ratter 😉

So I'm taking this medication that can produce vivid dreams and nightmares and this morning I experience that at about 3am the time I normally get up. Bad dreams about losing my chickens.

The roosters start crowing and I think I hear the hens making a ruckus so I go out to check. Low and behold there is a coon in one of my coops! No one was dead or harmed. I was extremely lucky. Now after a 10hr day at work I'll be installing a skirt on the coop. It dug a hole under the coop right next to the door. I think I might have brought this on by feeding the group in that pen catfood as a treat to get them in earlier that evening.

Last edited:
I chant "please be a girl, please be a girl" everytime I see them... but know my averages are ehh.
Speaking of.... any thoughts on this one people? View attachment 3630207View attachment 3630211
I'm thinking girl but I have been fooled before... more than a few times.
Looks like a beauuuutiful girl to me!
Meet Poppy ♡
View attachment 3630559
And Tally ♡View attachment 3630567
My new charges.
Think Tally is going to be a ratter 😉
O gosh...look at that chubby little baby belly! What a doll!

So I'm taking this medication that can produce vivid dreams and nightmares and this morning I experience that at about 3am the time I normally get up. Bad dreams about losing my chickens.

The roosters start crowing and I think I hear the hens making a ruckus so I go out to check. Low and behold there is a coon in one of my coops! No one was dead or harmed. I was extremely lucky. Now after a 10hr day at work I'll be installing a skirt on the coop. It dug a hole under the coop right next to the door. I think I might have brought this on by feeding the group in that pen catfood as a treat to get them in earlier that evening.
I'm so glad it didn't get any of them!

I'm taking a chance today. I let my chickens out to free range at 1:30 this afternoon, and I hope they stay in the backyard. I set up a waterer in the backyard for them, which might help keep them in the area. I also closed the door to their run so they have no access to layer feed. They'll be on their own until sundown to find their own food by foraging.

I tossed a tomato out in the backyard for them to eat, but it was out in the open in the bright sun. They wouldn't go for it. A couple looked up in the sky to look for flying predators, I guess, but still decided to stay in the shade by the house, out of sight. Seemed like a smart thing for them to do!

Back
Top Bottom