What did you do with your flock today?

That being said, they do not tell us if they are in pain, and hide it very well. The resting and sleeping a lot seem to be signs she is definitely not well, and is conserving energy, trying to heal. Much like us. Not pooping is never good.
You have to ask yourself the question, are you keeping her alive for yourself, or for her well being? Many times, euthanasia is the most loving and kind thing to do for our beloved companions, to end their suffering. My heart goes out to you, as you have hard decisions to make.

When Ruby's sister, Bianca, got sick with pneumonia with pulmonary edema, one of her vets said that she would be dead in two days.

The other one offered to euthanize her while she was receiving oxygen.

That happened in June last year.

At first, I refused to euthanize her out of my own desire to keep her with me, I took her home, and then I thought about it more rationally and reconsidered it.

But then, Bianca became more responsive and started eating on her own.

It was a long treatment, but she gradually returned to her chicken life.

She has tracheal stenosis now, but she got adapted, and she is a normal hen who just can't do a lot of exercise and needs an oral bronchodilator once in a while.

Every day I watch her eat her veggies, dust bathe with her friends, etc., and think: "I could've euthanized her last year".

What I mean is... I'm afraid of making the wrong decision. I'm afraid of not giving Ruby enough time to recover.

I left her in that clinic with an oxygen mask. She breathes on her own now.

I left her in that clinic with no mobility. She stands up and walks around now.

She didn't eat at first. Now she does - very little, and I have to complement it, but what if she starts eating a bit more every day and I just...interrupt her healing process?

She got major surgery on Saturday. It's not even a week...

At the same time, I totally understand your point, and I'm not completely discarding euthanasia as an option.

I will talk to one of her vets tomorrow. And perhaps... depending on what he says... I will let her go, and donate her body to the Vet college.

When Ruby's sister, Bianca, got sick with pneumonia with pulmonary edema, one of her vets said that she would be dead in two days.

At first, I refused to euthanize her out of my own desire to keep her with me, I took her home, and then I thought about it more rationally and reconsidered it.

She has tracheal stenosis now, but she got adapted, and she is a normal hen who just can't do a lot of exercise and needs an oral bronchodilator once in a while.

Every day I watch her eat her veggies, dust bathe with her friends, etc., and think: "I could've euthanized her last year".

What I mean is... I'm afraid of making the wrong decision. I'm afraid of not giving Ruby enough time to recover.

She didn't eat at first. Now she does - very little, and I have to complement it, but what if she starts eating a bit more every day and I just...interrupt her healing process?

At the same time, I totally understand your point, and I'm not completely discarding euthanasia as an option.

I will talk to one of her vets tomorrow. And perhaps... depending on what he says... I will let her go, and donate her body to the Vet college.
You will know when it is time :hugs I'm sorry that you both are going through this. It is not easy. Such lovely little creatures 🐔💕

Little Hop is eating ❤️. And standing nice and straight with a hand to press his back into. 😃🤞🥰
20231111_161101.jpg

She prolapsed three times.

First time, she got a relatively simple surgery, where the main idea was to put it all back in and keep it there.

Second time, she prolapsed a few minutes after the stitches from the number one surgery were removed. So they put it all back in again and stitched her again.

Third time, she was doing fine without the stitches and she had the terrible idea of laying an egg.

This time, the surgery was more complicated as there was necrotic tissue and a perforation in her oviduct.

I don't think I'll be able to give her clay as hydration is actually one of her problems right now. She is barely drinking water and I'm syringe hydrating her with Gatorade.

She barely eats but I've noticed that I can make her eat more if I hand feed her. Still, she has trouble with her digestion.

During the night, she expelled an orange fluid. The vets told me it would be orange due to the medication she's taking. But it's all liquid, no poop, and just a few urates.

It takes her ages to "poop". I fed her Nestum (with a syringe) at 7 am, but nothing came out of her vent until 11:30 am.

She opens her eyes and walks around a little, but rests and sleeps a lot.

I must take her to one of her vets tomorrow. They've already told me that euthanasia should be considered if she doesn't improve.

But I don't know if I can euthanize a bird who eats from my hand and reacts to my voice and is... You know, not 100% unresponsive.

Still, I don't know how much time she has left if she doesn't start pooping. I mean, it's not even what you'd imagine if I told you she has diarrhea. It's an orange liquid, no little pieces of turd or anything.
That's not sounding great.
Quite often, expelling liquid without solids or with very few solids, is indicative of starvation,, which would fit with her eating so poorly.

Could you try feeding her critical care formula for birds? It will not only feed her but also help with hydration. Keep hand feeding too.
As for euthanasia, that's a call only you can make. You'll know if it's time and will make the correct choices for her.

You have been through so much in the past year with these siblings. They are fortunate to have you as their trusted compassionate human. The 'what ifs' are always in our thoughts whenever these rough days are happening. As mentioned before, the decision is ultimately yours. I just hope you will be at peace, and have the strength to persevere. :hugs:hugs:hugs

I've got to build a new brooder before noon. I think that's what is called being under the gun. Need this break in the rain to use power tools out side long enough to cut boards to length. Then I can play with the little ones as soon as I can get them out of their first home in the incubator. Not sure I want to stop messing with the little kids long enough to visit the big kids.

You have been through so much in the past year with these siblings. They are fortunate to have you as their trusted compassionate human. The 'what ifs' are always in our thoughts whenever these rough days are happening. As mentioned before, the decision is ultimately yours. I just hope you will be at peace, and have the strength to persevere. :hugs:hugs:hugs

I let her go.

I donated her body to the Vet college. Hopefully Ruby will help other hens with reproductive issues in the future.

Thank you everyone for your support.

IMG_20231116_142715.jpg

Washed Hops bottom today and I keep looking to see if any changes. The scabs still there so I can't really tell a lot. But I did see leg/foot movement this time from inside. More leg than foot I think? Don't think that can be good though. It seems closer to the surface than before. He seems like he's doing really well overall and comfortable. Still not sure what to think on if he has any real chance long term. Wish I knew if he can be ok or if that foot insides going to get him eventually. Can't think of any way to free that foot. Sure wish I could. Does that look more under the skin to you guys? Starting to think the foots not in the abdomen but between the skin and abdominal wall. If so, maybe it can be freed?
20231116_120243.jpg
20231116_120230.jpg

I let her go.

I donated her body to the Vet college. Hopefully Ruby will help other hens with reproductive issues in the future.

Thank you everyone for your support.

View attachment 3685136
I'm so so sorry MaeM! :hugs :hugs :hugs You did everything you could for her and more than many would. I hope her memory gives you comfort over time.

Back
Top Bottom