What did you do with your flock today?

I've been meaning to talk to the manager at the grocery store here to ask what they do with the throw-away produce. I told him I had chickens and they'd appreciate the veggies. He told me they set them outside near the loading dock, and they're first come, first serve. I guess I'm not the only one looking for free chicken/livestock feed. LOL

I took a look but nothing was there. I'll keep checking and might get lucky sometime.
I would be nervous about any pesticide residues. That's just me.

Sad news today. I found one of my chickens dead on the floor of the secure run this morning. The only thing I could think to do diagnosis-wise was check her crop, which still had food in it. I just didn't feel up to doing a necropsy on her to try to find the reason, so I guess I'll never know why she died.

I know for sure she laid an egg yesterday and the day before, and all of the chickens have been acting totally normal. Yesterday evening I took them for a walk in the yard, and then got them into the night run by shaking the scratch jar and feeding them some scratch grains just before roosting time. And none of them were acting strange or sick.

She was a few feet away from the roost, so she didn't just drop dead off the roosting bar. The other chickens are all acting fine this morning.

Oh well, I guess it's just part of raising chickens.
There is the lab that does necropsies in Puyallup, I think it's 35 or 40 bucks. So sorry 😞. One of my cockerels died suddenly last year.

There is the lab that does necropsies in Puyallup, I think it's 35 or 40 bucks. So sorry 😞. One of my cockerels died suddenly last year.
Thanks. I think I found it.
https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/avian-health/
But according to their list, it looks like a non-commercial avian necropsy is $60 now. And they aren't doing them in Puyallup right now because they don't currently have a pathologist. They're being done in Pullman.
https://tests.waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/

I don't think I'd spend that much, and would rather learn more and do what I can myself. But hopefully I won't have to do it again.

I cooked some brown rice for the birds
They love it
20231124_175915.jpg

I am going to be getting a blue quail Watermaal boy next weekend when I go to the show! I’m super excited to see if I can make some beebies! The Watermaal Club is trying to get blue quail accepted as an SOP variety by the ABA, so I figured I could help some with that by showing at some qualifying meets next year maybe! I’m not a huge fan of the quail pattern, but I needed to get some good quality birds to get the trifed comb introduced into my project birds :) I have black, white and cuckoo pullets that have bad combs…so I’m hoping to infuse some good genes eventually! I like their colors—especially the cuckoo! 😍 I’m guessing these new quail hens are from the Greenfire line, which is at least a decent start! :)

Yes, it’s been a bit of a whirlwind Fall…I have a ton of things to do but today is the first day in FOREVER that we have zero plans to be somewhere so I’m really enjoying just doing nothing 😌 Gonna do a bunch of winterizing the coops and runs tomorrow instead of today! So right now I’m sitting and watching football while Ruby’s Vaseline treatment soaks into his dry cracked feet!

I had to share my contribution to our Thanksgiving yesterday. Isn’t he a cute Turkey?? ☺️
I love the cheeseball turkey!!! What a clever idea!!! :love

Thanks. I think I found it.
https://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/avian-health/
But according to their list, it looks like a non-commercial avian necropsy is $60 now. And they aren't doing them in Puyallup right now because they don't currently have a pathologist. They're being done in Pullman.
https://tests.waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/

I don't think I'd spend that much, and would rather learn more and do what I can myself. But hopefully I won't have to do it again.
I wouldn't ship a chicken off for a necropsy unless I was suddenly losing a few chickens. Then I might want to know what's going on so I can treat it. Otherwise, no amount of information is going to bring my sweet little chicken back to me, so we just bury the one that passes and move on with our others.

I brought our beloved Easter Egger Shuster in for a treatment with No Pick'n spray. Where his new tail and back feathers were coming in was thought of by the pullets he runs with as a treat for them. They may look for a treat elsewhere tomorrow morning when they try to peck him again. While he was in with us he downed a treat of his own in the way of a pair of boiled eggs. I hope between his eggs and 27% game bird feed he at least feathers out on his back with cold weather arriving.

Sad news today. I found one of my chickens dead on the floor of the secure run this morning. The only thing I could think to do diagnosis-wise was check her crop, which still had food in it. I just didn't feel up to doing a necropsy on her to try to find the reason, so I guess I'll never know why she died.

I know for sure she laid an egg yesterday and the day before, and all of the chickens have been acting totally normal. Yesterday evening I took them for a walk in the yard, and then got them into the night run by shaking the scratch jar and feeding them some scratch grains just before roosting time. And none of them were acting strange or sick.

She was a few feet away from the roost, so she didn't just drop dead off the roosting bar. The other chickens are all acting fine this morning.

Oh well, I guess it's just part of raising chickens.
So sorry...it is part of raising chickens but it still sucks. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom