What did you do with your flock today?

I think they revel in making a mess. Mine wouldn't know how to do ANYTHING with finesse, no matter how many instructional videos I sat them in front of! 😂
They love digging things up too
I put in some flower bulbs last year but they dug them up :( but the ones in the front yard are doing great

Well, Ferdy and I had a busy Christmas Eve finishing up my baking and decorations. He 'helped' nearly all day and into the night. I know he hated the high winds we had so he opted to spend the day with me and leave Stan to look after the ladies. Poor Stan was absolutely petrified of the wind and spent his day shouting 'instructions' to the girls from underneath some pine branches! Good job it's Gladys who's really in charge - she just remained calm and ensured the ladies were the same.

Anyway, amongst other things, View attachment 3713123View attachment 3713125we recycled some old plastic baubles to make them look a bit like Wedgwood 'jasperware'.
Some of you might remember I decorated my brother and SIL's wedding cake with sugar paste roses back in September? Well, it sparked an interest to try more sugar paste work. So, armed with trusty YouTube, we set to work:
View attachment 3713126View attachment 3713127
I can confirm that it is not easy to decorate a cake with your cut-price parrot on your shoulder, intent on eating the marzipan 🤣
Absolutely beautiful results! Give me paints or pen and paper and I'm happy with what I create...but put me in the kitchen and all my artistic skills come to naught 😂. It always amazes me when people produce something so lovely with food 😍! And you did it with a cut-priced parrot helping 🤣

They love digging things up too
I put in some flower bulbs last year but they dug them up :( but the ones in the front yard are doing great
Tiny terrorists! My hubby asked why I have big rocks under plants and pieces of wood stuck upright all over my garden beds... my homemade chicken baffles baffled him 🤣

Well, Ferdy and I had a busy Christmas Eve finishing up my baking and decorations. He 'helped' nearly all day and into the night. I know he hated the high winds we had so he opted to spend the day with me and leave Stan to look after the ladies. Poor Stan was absolutely petrified of the wind and spent his day shouting 'instructions' to the girls from underneath some pine branches! Good job it's Gladys who's really in charge - she just remained calm and ensured the ladies were the same.

Anyway, amongst other things, View attachment 3713123View attachment 3713125we recycled some old plastic baubles to make them look a bit like Wedgwood 'jasperware'.
Some of you might remember I decorated my brother and SIL's wedding cake with sugar paste roses back in September? Well, it sparked an interest to try more sugar paste work. So, armed with trusty YouTube, we set to work:
View attachment 3713126View attachment 3713127
I can confirm that it is not easy to decorate a cake with your cut-price parrot on your shoulder, intent on eating the marzipan 🤣
Your ornaments and that cake!!! 😍😍😍 You have incredible talent, I can’t believe how real that flower looks, well done! 😍 I love that you call him a cut-price parrot 😆 Bet he tried giving you lots of instructions on what you could do with all that cake and frosting!! “My beak is right here Mom! Down the beak it should go!” 😀 I can’t believe you could make such pretty dessert with a micromanager on your shoulder!

So, so sorry to hear about Ducky Jr. If Aria's anything like I was at her age, losing him will cut her very deep. Extra hugs to her (and you!) :hugs

Such great.chicken themed gifts! I only got one chicken - related item - a 'merry clucking Christmas' t-shirt. I suspect no-one wants to encourage my chicken dependency...
Yeah, Ducky Jr was one she took really hard. He was such a good boy, and really liked people best, and was very gentle with his chicken friends. It was so hard watching his very slow decline :-( I kept trying things to improve his immune system, but the mites he had were SO bad. I learned a valuable lesson that just visual appearance isn’t enough to know they are doing okay. You have to actually pick them up and inspect them, he acted so normal we had no idea until it was really bad. :-( Poor boy. I’m not sure I’m going to continue trying to own and breed wheaten Ameraucanas. They seem to have much weaker constitutions and are more easily affected by ailments. My blacks, blues, splash and whites are so hardy!

All of my watering cups and nipples were plugged up and not working this morning for some reason. I disassembled one of the auto fill cups and cleaned it really well and it seems to be working ok now. There's a small passageway, maybe 1/16th of an inch in diameter, that was obstructed.
I didn’t have much success with the nipplrs now the cups. Put out the bucks and bought a big watered and heating tray. Have the one piece heated waterer set up too but that one is more trouble to deal with.

Maybe just regular cleaning will work for you. I cleaned them every day and the still were always little cups of dirty water. I guess that comes with chickens that like to scratch and peck.

I didn’t have much success with the nipplrs now the cups. Put out the bucks and bought a big watered and heating tray. Have the one piece heated waterer set up too but that one is more trouble to deal with.

Maybe just regular cleaning will work for you. I cleaned them every day and the still were always little cups of dirty water. I guess that comes with chickens that like to scratch and peck.
I believe the dirt comes from dirty beaks, and flung dust and dirt from dust bathing, if they do it nearby. Dirt and happy chickens go together.

Back
Top Bottom