What did you do with your flock today?

Chickens only got the basics today. But the oegbs got the chicken bucket and there was a bunch of squid in it. They went nuts for that 😂.

A neighbor I've never met before showed up today with a couple new born kittens. Wet and freezing cold...one had the wet placenta still attached. I was a bit surprised. They said the mom was killing the babies. I don't think they had a clue of...anything. I popped them into an incubator to get their temps back to normal and they've kinda taken up my whole day. But they're warm, they've eaten a little and had their first potty so hopefully they'll make it. Wish me and them some luck. They've had no colostrum. ☹️
20240116_131936.jpg
They're mostly clean now and moving around. That deep chill they got makes me afraid to let them get even a little cold for bit, so feeding and potty sessions are super short. I thought the placenta baby might not be able to warm up...so glad it's made it this far.
20240116_184917.jpg
20240116_184922.jpg

Chickens only got the basics today. But the oegbs got the chicken bucket and there was a bunch of squid in it. They went nuts for that 😂.

A neighbor I've never met before showed up today with a couple new born kittens. Wet and freezing cold...one had the wet placenta still attached. I was a bit surprised. They said the mom was killing the babies. I don't think they had a clue of...anything. I popped them into an incubator to get their temps back to normal and they've kinda taken up my whole day. But they're warm, they've eaten a little and had their first potty so hopefully they'll make it. Wish me and them some luck. They've had no colostrum. ☹️
They're mostly clean now and moving around. That deep chill they got makes me afraid to let them get even a little cold for bit, so feeding and potty sessions are super short. I thought the placenta baby might not be able to warm up...so glad it's made it this far.View attachment 3727536View attachment 3727537
Oh my goodness those poor sweet babies!! It’s good they brought them to you I guess…some people don’t know how to actually help animals sometimes. They’re in good hands and I will send lots of positive vibes for you and them! ❤️❤️❤️

Watered the hens and rabbit. Shoveled. Watered the hens and rabbit again. Shoveled again. Watered the hens and rabbit again. Shoveled again. Watered the rabbit a final time. I will be so happy when this cold snap breaks.
Goodness!! They better lay you some eggs as a thank you! 😍 Who needs a gym membership when you have outdoor animals! 😆❤️

They're mostly clean now and moving around. That deep chill they got makes me afraid to let them get even a little cold for bit, so feeding and potty sessions are super short. I thought the placenta baby might not be able to warm up...so glad it's made it this far.View attachment 3727536View attachment 3727537
Oh my! Poor tiny babies. What a rough start! I'm praying for them to survive. If they make it through the next week or so, I'm positive they'll thrive in your capable hands ♥️

Yesterday, Olena pulled one leg up and turned sideways, falling into the larger hole in the back of the sling twice. I have to check on and readjust her more often.
Food and egg check (4). We have freezing rain tonight, roads are a sheet of ice. It is warming up through the night. Looks like I'll be able to unplug the water warmer by tomorrow, and string up the lights in the coop.
When I came home from errands this afternoon, Olena wasn't leaning as much to the right, and was not even needing the bumper. Seems more level, I think it's another positive step toward recovery. I am thinking she may need a chicken sitter while we're on vacation next month. Don't know if the boys have enough time to do that.
@kurby22 , Bravo! All your super care and hard work shows. Pun intended. All of your birds are spectacular! Love your dedication.
Housework will always wait for you to get home.
The silkie reminds me of those ladies that wore puffy hats and feather boas. Just darling 😘

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

We rescued Debbie when she was abandoned at 4 weeks. I fed her with a bottle for a couple weeks, and our dog Cleo cleaned her up after "elimination".

IMG_20210822_080908537.jpg

I checked on the flock after I got home from work today, they looked fine. The waterer cups were full of ice but the large dog's water dish I'd placed there at 5:30am wasn't iced at all. Good.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

We rescued Debbie when she was abandoned at 4 weeks. I fed her with a bottle for a couple weeks, and our dog Cleo cleaned her up after "elimination".

View attachment 3728093

I checked on the flock after I got home from work today, they looked fine. The waterer cups were full of ice but the large dog's water dish I'd placed there at 5:30am wasn't iced at all. Good.
What a beautiful little girl ❤️. Two of our cats are bottle raised babies...this is Moon Sugar...she came to us with her umbilical cord still attached.
Resized_20200508_164424.jpeg
20201205_160321.jpg

Our other is Maggie...she was a couple weeks old when we got her.
Resized_20220206_143847(1).jpeg
Resized_20231224_124855(1).jpg

Babies are so much better today. Today they seem strong and they're purring even. I've never had any brought to me so cold and in such rough shape. Incubators are so handy for so many animals though and they seem none the worst for it today. The little girl is missing almost half of her tail but that's the only injury.
I was going to send them to another home to be raised but hubby surprised me and says not til they're weaned. Maybe he'll change his mind in a couple weeks. It's nice if the new owner gets a little of that bottle feeding time with them, and I'm confident this woman is capable. 😕
Hope he realizes by the time they're weaned, they might end up here forever. I'd say likely to...I'm already bonkers for the little girl with half a tail.

Scrambled extra eggs up and fed them to the peafowl. Took a little time with Biscotti. ❤️ His colors developing fast now. I swear every day he's got more colored feathers in all that white.

Back
Top Bottom