What did you do with your flock today?

Mowed around the coop, dumped the clippings in the run.
IMG_20240331_135458821~2.jpg

All four Dominique girls ⬆️

Samuel watching over his Sussex girls:
IMG_20240331_135348172~2.jpg

I screwed up yesterday. Put a frozen half pound of ground beef in the microwave to thaw and forgot about until I opened the 'wave today.

I cooked it up for the chickens, and man, did they go crazy for it. A couple were actually fighting to get the little pieces of ground beef when I threw it in the run. LOL

The layer feed I get is only 17% protein so I try to give them some meat or eggs at least a couple times a week.

Once in a while I get mine a bag of 22% layer mini pellets. I think there is less waste with the pellets and would love to keep them on the pellets. I feel it is better on the roosters though to use starter/grower and oyster shell on the side. I have sold most of my older hens and am replacing them with new pullets that I've hatched.

Once in a while I get mine a bag of 22% layer mini pellets. I think there is less waste with the pellets and would love to keep them on the pellets. I feel it is better on the roosters though to use starter/grower and oyster shell on the side. I have sold most of my older hens and am replacing them with new pullets that I've hatched.
Mine absolutely refuse point blank to eat any type of pellet. 'They' say animals will not intentionally starve themselves but 'they' clearly haven't met my lot! It infuriates me how much food I waste as I'm unable to get a pellet free mix.

Just noticed this morning that not only has Stan's toenail not grown back on his second toe on his left foot after the falcon attack, but his toenail on his second toe on the right foot is now missing! I'm slightly perplexed by it and have no clue how it's happened. It isn't bothering him in the slightest. Oh well, at least it's symmetrical!

Just noticed this morning that not only has Stan's toenail not grown back on his second toe on his left foot after the falcon attack, but his toenail on his second toe on the right foot is now missing! I'm slightly perplexed by it and have no clue how it's happened. It isn't bothering him in the slightest. Oh well, at least it's symmetrical!
That is weird! George lost a toe nail while we were prepping him at a show in January. My husband was cleaning his feet and got to the toe nail and it just came right off! He was like Uhhhh I swear I was being careful! 😆

How are you doing since you lost Penelope? We finally said our final goodbyes to Willie last weekend and Aria has been distraught and crying about him almost every night 😢 All the new babies are helping though. And she’s really happy we have a baby that’s half Willie. Did I tell you all about her? I popped a couple eggs in the incubator from the Modern Game bantams and one came out a weird color with feathered legs 🤦🏼‍♀️ We called her weird baby haha, but now she’s Willa (part Willie part Zilla). She’s really pretty! 😍 It helps having a part of him still here ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_9867.jpeg
    IMG_9867.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9870.jpeg
    IMG_9870.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9872.jpeg
    IMG_9872.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 2
That is weird! George lost a toe nail while we were prepping him at a show in January. My husband was cleaning his feet and got to the toe nail and it just came right off! He was like Uhhhh I swear I was being careful! 😆

How are you doing since you lost Penelope? We finally said our final goodbyes to Willie last weekend and Aria has been distraught and crying about him almost every night 😢 All the new babies are helping though. And she’s really happy we have a baby that’s half Willie. Did I tell you all about her? I popped a couple eggs in the incubator from the Modern Game bantams and one came out a weird color with feathered legs 🤦🏼‍♀️ We called her weird baby haha, but now she’s Willa (part Willie part Zilla). She’s really pretty! 😍 It helps having a part of him still here ❤️
O what a cutie.. is she dun? I'm so glad Aria has part of Willie still with her ❤️

It's been cold, rainy and busy here. I need to have a hay delivery and I'm looking at the flooded areas and wondering how a truck will get through. I might have to pick up a bale or two to tide me through til the ground dries. I'm getting too old to enjoy moving hay bales but at least I still can. I am wondering occasionally though if it's time to rehomed my beautiful Jazzy. She's my last horse ands been with me forever. Nah... when I think of hauling hay bales I wonder...but when I think of her I'm still certain she stays. 😂

All my lovely little chickens are doing wonderful. They don't seem to mind the weather at all. I've been giving them a little corn at bedtime like @LTAY1946 . It certainly gets them excited!

Back
Top Bottom