What did you do with your flock today?

So maybe pretty babies! What all breeds do you have there?
The 6 week bigger grey ones are Olive Egger, the 5 week buff/tan ones are buff brahmas

The 3 week old ones are all easter eggers! Five of them are from a local lady that has a blue wheaten Ameraucana rooster! (I have several threads of these guys and their journeys!)

Had to get creative with a broody we don't want going broody. Have fought with her for four days now. I only have one crate and mr. Roo is in it lol so made her one lol (that on ground she kept getting out of lol)

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_174657819.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240407_174657819.MP.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240407_174403483.jpg
    PXL_20240407_174403483.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 5
The 6 week bigger grey ones are Olive Egger, the 5 week buff/tan ones are buff brahmas

The 3 week old ones are all easter eggers! Five of them are from a local lady that has a blue wheaten Ameraucana rooster! (I have several threads of these guys and their journeys!)
What a colorful egg basket you're going to have!

Had to get creative with a broody we don't want going broody. Have fought with her for four days now. I only have one crate and mr. Roo is in it lol so made her one lol (that on ground she kept getting out of lol)
I really hate broody breaking...I always feel sorry for the hens. But I feel sorry for them when they're brooding empty nests too 😂

Sold a bunch of hens yesterday to a lady I met last year. She's coming back today to buy the rest.

Pulled two yokohama hens from last year's birds to re-home. Think they have a buyer already. Lovely ladies but very bad combs on them.

And this morning I enjoyed just sitting with my grow outs. Admiring them and imagining how they'll look full grown. I sure hope this generation gets the wonderful long lines of a pure yoko...I'm already in love with the markings I'm getting though and some have the yoko cushion comb I want. ♥️
1000010341.jpg
1000010332.jpg

I really hate broody breaking...I always feel sorry for the hens. But I feel sorry for them when they're brooding empty nests too 😂
I've let our same Orpington go broody and hatch twice. I'm not allowed anymore chicks(😂 lol) and honestly don't have room to put her and babies since we just moved 6weekers outside lol

I hate seeing bored chickens so I gave them a block of frozen scraps from some chicken thighs I boned out last week. It kept them occupied and engaged for a good half hour.

I boned out the thighs raw, and wasn't too worried about getting all the meat off the bones. Then I cooked the bones in a pot on the stove until the cartilage was softened, then let them cool.

I removed the thigh bones, packaged the slop into quart bags and froze them.

IMG_3602.JPG

Let me tell you, chickens have no problem pecking bits from a frozen block.

IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3714.JPG IMG_3717.JPG IMG_3720.JPG IMG_3721.JPG IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3744.JPG

Back
Top Bottom