What is this button-like thing on my hen's skin?

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
IMG_20240504_131104.jpg

I have a feeling that I've seen this before but it was smaller. šŸ¤”

Since it's not near the base of the tail, It could be a feather cyst. That's basically the chicken equivalent to an in-grown hair. I have no idea how that is treated, so hopefully someone can chime in.

Is it dangerous? I assume there's risk of infection but how do I know if it's infected and/or needs intervention ASAP?

It can lead to infection, which would be dangerous, but it won't happen overnight. Sometimes they go away on their own. I have never had to treat one, but everything I've found online says they need to be drained or the follicle surgically removed. They'll bleed badly if pulled out wrong, so I wouldn't recommend digging at it until somebody whose dealt with it chimes in.

It can lead to infection, which would be dangerous, but it won't happen overnight. Sometimes they go away on their own. I have never had to treat one, but everything I've found online says they need to be drained or the follicle surgically removed. They'll bleed badly if pulled out wrong, so I wouldn't recommend digging at it until somebody whose dealt with it chimes in.

There's an avian vet who comes to my town every Tuesday. I will ask him about this next Tuesday and I will let you know what he says.

The chicken actually has three more of these lumps: two small, skin-colored ones, and one that has been "ruptured" by the feather (the feather came out from this round, reddish lump).

There's an avian vet who comes to my town every Tuesday. I will ask him about this next Tuesday and I will let you know what he says.

The chicken actually has three more of these lumps: two small, skin-colored ones, and one that has been "ruptured" by the feather (the feather came out from this round, reddish lump).
How did you happen to find this? Was she scratching at it or do you just handle your chickens a lot?

How did you happen to find this? Was she scratching at it or do you just handle your chickens a lot?

They're pets for me so I handle them a lot. But also purposely examine them once a week or so. I've spotted injuries, small prolapses, flystrike, etc. this way.

However, this huge ingrown feather is pretty obvious because it is on a bald patch this chicken has (she's been molting forever).

I haven't seen her scratching any of these lumps. I don't think they're bothering her. Maybe the biggest one may hurt a little if you touch it? But I'll leave it alone until the vet sees it.

Back
Top Bottom