What Sex Are These Icelandics?

skullgrrrl

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I hatched 3 purebred Icelandics from a friend's eggs - born May 12th (3 months old). Pullet or cockerel? The patterned one looks like a cockerel and I'm hoping the splash and orange/blue one are pullets.
IMG_8448.jpg
IMG_8452.jpg
IMG_8586.jpg
IMG_8643.jpg
IMG_8644.jpg
IMG_8646.jpg
IMG_8647.jpg

All three look like pullets to me, but you are right. If one of them is going to be a cockerel it will be the tan bird with the blue tail. I just don't see much comb or wattles on any of them, and no coloring in those areas, either. At 3 months I would expect to see both on cockerels. So you may have lucked out with all girls.

All three look like pullets to me, but you are right. If one of them is going to be a cockerel it will be the tan bird with the blue tail. I just don't see much comb or wattles on any of them, and no coloring in those areas, either. At 3 months I would expect to see both on cockerels. So you may have lucked out with all girls.
The patterned one had quite pink wattles at 6 wks (more than most in a hatch of 9) but they don't seem to have gotten any bigger or brighter than the others as they've gotten older.

agree with Jed. Icelandics are a landrace, I don't think they are considered a breed.
Landrace just means its a gene pool that has developed in a small geographical area. Breeds traits are often selected for utilitarian purposes (e.g. cold hardy) rather than aesthetics. I believe Icelandics are considered a breed, but don't have a Standard of Perfection (SOP).

Landrace just means its a gene pool that has developed in a small geographical area. Breeds traits are often selected for utilitarian purposes (e.g. cold hardy) rather than aesthetics. I believe Icelandics are considered a breed, but don't have a Standard of Perfection (SOP). The birds I have came from two different lines imported from Iceland.

Breed or land race, makes no difference to me. There are no set standards for them, I know that, because they can be just about any color, crested or non-crested, rose combed or single combed, and have any color of legs.

They are beautiful and really good free rangers. I like Icelandics a lot.

Update: New pics. I'm sure the other two are pullets, still on the fence about this one.

Early on it had more developed/pinker wattles than the two pullets from the hatch but they are now all about the same (combs, wattles, overall body size).

Where I'm confused is this one seems to have quite narrow, pointed hackle feathers, but rounded saddle feathers. Opinions?
IMG_8790.jpg
IMG_8782.jpg
IMG_8790.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8776.jpg
    IMG_8776.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8784.jpg
    IMG_8784.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom