When should I intervene on a hatch

rheo

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
I'm not sure if I'll get a response in time...

I'm hatching some coturnix quail right now and they started pipping around midnight last night. It's 9am now. The first one I noticed had pipped is still not out. It's just that same little pip it had last night.

I'll give it some more time but at some point I should probably try to give it a hand if it's not completely out right?

How long should I wait?

I only have 6 eggs out of the dozen I expect to hatch after the candling I did a few days ago. So far only 1 of those 6 have completely hatched.

They can survive around two days without food / water after hatching. Use that to determine when to pull them out. Some can hatch earlier (15 days), while others can hatch later (18+ days). If you still have unhatched eggs with 48+ hr chicks in the incubator, it's best to pull them out at that time. Most of the eggs will hatch in two days, so I think it's better to make sure the ones already hatched stay alive than worry about a few unhatched eggs that might never hatch anyways.

If you're worried about the remaining eggs, do this: The key is to slowly equalize the temperature or put the incubator in a hot room (90+ degrees) when opening the incubator. Otherwise, a sudden influx of cold air (even room temperature) can make the membrane in the egg shrink which can trap a chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom