Why are my keets dying?

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
On 8/22 I received an order of 7 guinea keets. One really small pearl and six whites. All went well until three days ago when they started dropping like flies. I've successfully raised keets before with zero losses, but those were from a breeder and these are my first hatchery keets. I got them from Ideal.

The temp in the brooder was right on 95 the whole time and they had plenty of space to get out of the heat.
Same unmedicated chick starter as the last batch. Water is changed daily.
No shavings or any non edibles for them to eat.
They never appeared stressed or in distress. Other than the small pearl they all grew nicely.

Starting three days ago I found one dead per day. They'd be fine in the morning and dead by afternoon. No disharge anywhere, eating and drinking fine, good poo, and then dead. Just like someone had hit an off switch.

They are kept in the house away from other birds and have not even been on the floor. They all arrived perky and healthy.

Does this sound like a genetics thing?

First of all I'm sorry for your losses. Any advice I would give you really is just a guess because I don't know your sit up there at your house.

Is there cage away from a draft?

Did you turn on a furnace or something with a gas pilot light?

Are you sure the temp was right in there cage?

You say your giving them nonmedicated food is it high in protein like the gamebird food? Is the food fresh and not molded?

Are you using well water or city water?

Their brooder is not sealed on the top is it? Their getting plenty of fresh air.

Look for anything that has changed in the last 3 days. Temps in the house, food changes anything that is different.

I hope this helps let us know how things are going.

First of all I'm sorry for your losses. Any advice I would give you really is just a guess because I don't know your sit up there at your house.

Is there cage away from a draft?

Did you turn on a furnace or something with a gas pilot light?

Are you sure the temp was right in there cage?

You say your giving them nonmedicated food is it high in protein like the gamebird food? Is the food fresh and not molded?

Are you using well water or city water?

Their brooder is not sealed on the top is it? Their getting plenty of fresh air.

Look for anything that has changed in the last 3 days. Temps in the house, food changes anything that is different.

I hope this helps let us know how things are going.

No drafts near the cage.
The temp is good. I forgot to mention that I'm raising them with 14 chicks due to Ideal combining he shipments. All the chicks are happy and healthy.
The food is high protein and the bag was just opened, smells and looks good. The chicks are eating the same thing and have no issues.
Their brooder is a converted dog crate, like this one.

Haven't lost any today, hoping it has stopped.

Your probably going to have to go to a larger brooder. I don't think that one is going to be big enough for everybody. The keets if crowded can get aggressive even at a young age.

Do they have pasty butts? Check their vent areas to make sure there is no poop there if so need to remove it with luke warm water and gently rub so they can poo.

Your probably going to have to go to a larger brooder. I don't think that one is going to be big enough for everybody. The keets if crowded can get aggressive even at a young age.

The one in the pic is not the size (or brand) of the one I'm using (I couldn't find the brand of the one I'm using).. I'm using one that was made for a Great Dane. They all have plenty of room, nobody is crowded.

On 8/22 I received an order of 7 guinea keets. One really small pearl and six whites. All went well until three days ago when they started dropping like flies. I've successfully raised keets before with zero losses, but those were from a breeder and these are my first hatchery keets. I got them from Ideal.

The temp in the brooder was right on 95 the whole time and they had plenty of space to get out of the heat.
Same unmedicated chick starter as the last batch. Water is changed daily.
No shavings or any non edibles for them to eat.
They never appeared stressed or in distress. Other than the small pearl they all grew nicely.

Starting three days ago I found one dead per day. They'd be fine in the morning and dead by afternoon. No disharge anywhere, eating and drinking fine, good poo, and then dead. Just like someone had hit an off switch.

They are kept in the house away from other birds and have not even been on the floor. They all arrived perky and healthy.

Does this sound like a genetics thing?
Do I understand you correctly that you got these keets on August 22 and they are now around 5 weeks old? If so they should have been down to around 75°F by now.

Back
Top Bottom