Why can't we all just get along?

DoodlesDuckies

Chirping
Apr 17, 2024
Morning. My 2 African goslings are 6ish weeks old and have been together but looking at my 9- 4 weeks old ducklings through a pen in the house and garage since I got them. I do put them together supervised when I am cleaning pens or put them outside ( I am in WI and it is cold yet here-:rolleyes:). Last night I cleaned everyone's pens, let them swim and play together (had a few moments of the geese being sassy) and combined the pens to one huge pen-approx 6x12ft in garage. I supervised for awhile- made sure there are 2 sets of water and food stations, plenty of heat lamp space ect....Those geese I tell ya 🤬....Those darn geese and their attitudes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They will herd the ducks around the pen and away from both food and water stations. At one point they grabbed the little wings of the ducks and drug them around. I understand they have to establish pecking order and the geese are bigger. But they have been looking at each other for weeks now and why wouldn't you want to hang with each other? I think the geese are bored in the garage, on pine shavings and hope they are happier in the hut/grass. They are all working on their feathers but it is in the 30s yet at night. I left them together all night and noticed ALL their food was still there this morning, usually the food bowls are cleaned out every morning so I figure the geese kept the ducks from the food all night and I split them up again this morning before work.

I don't want to give up on them yet- the geese are a hoot to have around and honestly have more of a personality than the ducks but I love them all and just want everyone to get along.

Will this get better when they are in a bigger environment outside or will the geese just keep herding the ducks around all day?

Mine are on a little over half acre fenced and that is working out. Before I lost my gander the geese had their own house now she sleeps with all the birds In one coop that would never had worked when the gander was still here but she is the boss. These birds are her charges she makes sure they toe the line.My geese are older and most grew up together the only problem I had with the geese was my gander and my Muscovy drake they did not like each other. So during breeding season they were separated. My gander was close to 15 when he passed and my goose just turned 12. It’s hard to say whether your geese and ducks will be able to live peaceably together it’s just something you’ll have to wait and see. I don’t think I’d have my geese and ducks penned together free ranging would be better.

I’ve also heard that lots of land is key, that geese are super territorial and like having their own space. I’ll be getting 2 African goslings in the coming weeks, so maybe I can share what works :) My plan right now is that they’ll free range during the day and be housed separately from the ducks at night.

It’s also important to remember that ducks and geese are not the same species. They might not be friends, but they can certainly learn to co-exist. See how they act when they have that extra space; that could be just what they need.

Back
Top Bottom