Why won't my turkey eat in front of me?

MamaPoult

Near the clouds⛅
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Just a quick questian for you all! I notice that my turkey Jenny will not eat in front of me. Now, come to think of it I've observed my male poultry refuse to do it too. Atm Jenny is the leader of the flock because I don't have any males right now. Is it a dominance thing or something else? I'm really curious! Thanks

Just a quick question for you all! I notice that my turkey Jenny will not eat in front of me. Now, come to think of it I've observed my male poultry refuse to do it too. Atm Jenny is the leader of the flock because I don't have any males right now. Is it a dominance thing or something else? I'm really curious! Thanks
Don't have a clue. My turkeys eat in front of me whenever I happen to be where their feed is.

are they scared of you? Do they run if you try to pick them up? That might be why.
No, hers is human imprinted. With hers it may well be a dominance issue deferring to the dominant "turkey".

Mine are not human imprinted and know I am not a turkey. They have no problem eating in front of me.

Last edited:
No, hers is human imprinted. With hers it may well be a dominance issue deferring to the dominant "turkey".

Mine are not human imprinted and know I am not a turkey. They have no problem eating in front of me.
Oooh that makes a lot of sense! So it must be a dominance thing🤔

Lucky, my ducks hate me and I’ve done everything you’re supposed to do to get them to like you 😅.
Aww that's sad😢!! I raised her from a poult and we always have goodnight hugs😂 . We're buds for sure! You should get some turkeys🦃🦃

Just a quick questian for you all! I notice that my turkey Jenny will not eat in front of me. Now, come to think of it I've observed my male poultry refuse to do it too. Atm Jenny is the leader of the flock because I don't have any males right now. Is it a dominance thing or something else? I'm really curious! Thanks
Maybe they have self-image issues. Do you ever call them fat or chunky?

I had a cat do this before, and he only went back to eating in front of me when I stopped calling him Chubs or Bowling Ball. 😕

Back
Top Bottom