Worried. Hen not eating, drinking

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
I have a hen who has been living indoors since suffering severe frostbite and dehydration last winter. I have been raising some chicks to live with her when she moves outdoors since her former coop mates attack her and she can't fight back with partial feet and nearly no toes.

She and the chicks go outside during the day, but stay indoors at night while I work on modifying a coop. It was really hot a couple of days ago, so I didn't think anything of it when she didn't eat much.

In the past two days, she has refused all-flock, layer feed (she last laid on Monday), ate a few mealworms Monday, got her to take a bit of scrambled egg and some uncooked oatmeal yesterday. Today, she has picked at grapes (her favorite snack) but didn't eat any. And, I put electrolytes and vitamins in her water, but it doesn't look like she drank any since Monday.

What else I can do? What am I dealing with? Any ideas?

How old is she? I her crop emptying overnight? How is it now? Is she pooping, and what do those look like? Is she laying eggs? Most of the older hens who I have had with illness or crop problems will usually still eat scrambled egg or ground tuna or meat. Mushy wet chicken feed is good to offer. Vitamins, especially b complex or thiamine, can help to increase appetite. Hopefully your hen will perk up.

Eleanor was 4 years old in March. I'm not sure I know how to tell if her crop is emptying overnight; what would I look for? She showed a tiny bit of interest in a bite of scrambled egg this morning; I went back upstairs a few minutes ago, and she's eaten a couple of grapes.

She hasn't pooped today. Yesterday's poop was mostly flat and white, like outdoor bird poop, with some dark bits in it, and a lot of clear liquid that looks like water.

I was concerned about dehydration, so I have given her some water with a syringe. I will try making mushy chicken feed. She doesn't seem to be at all lethargic. She's hopped off her roost a couple of times to check out all the food she's rejecting. She fought me vigorously when I taco-towel-wrapped her to give her the water.

The only vitamins I have on hand are people ones -- including some B12 gummies.

Thanks for responding. I know you know your stuff!!

Eleanor is gone. I knew her health was not improving. She was the strongest, bravest chicken ever; she survived severe frostbite in December, losing several toes. But she could walk just fine on her ugly feet.

She was a very special girl.

Very sorry for your loss.When I lose a hen, I will usually do a home necropsy/autopsy, to look at the abdominal organs. Many times something will give a clue to what was wrong. Many post necropsy pictures here for thoughts.

No need. Vet's diagnosis was Marek's. Which would potentially explain the deaths of three other chickens in the last six months. I feel like there is a time bomb waiting to explode in my flock. I am trying to keep everyone as unstressed and healthy as I can. But I am heartbroken for Eleanor and the others.

Back
Top Bottom