𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 2𝐤22 ~ Flo's Hatch-A-Long ~

I’m stumped. Who fathered and mothered Chippy?

Since he looked like a chipmunk as a chick, I’m thinking the OEGB is the father, but he’s not looking bantam sized now…
3DEF0F3F-8A12-49D9-902D-58A35A310A8C.jpeg

Possible parents

Fathers
Golden Sebright bantam
Cochin x easter egger
Buff Cochin
Silver Duckwing OEGB
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Silver Duckwing OEGB mix

Mothers
Barred Rock
Delaware
Black Breasted Red OEG
Buff Cochin bantam x
Golden Sebright bantam
Blue cochin bantam
Black cochin bantam
Buff Orpington
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Black Sex Link
Maran
Crevecoeur
Crevecoeur cross (bantam sized)
Lakenvelder
White Crested Black Polish
Black Jersey Giant
White Leghorn
White Silkie
Buff Cochin
Silver Leghorn
Cochin x easter egger

Can anyone help out?

@MysteryChicken @JedJackson @Overo Mare @cherrynberry @LadiesAndJane @NatJ TIA

I’m stumped. Who fathered and mothered Chippy?

Since he looked like a chipmunk as a chick, I’m thinking the OEGB is the father, but he’s not looking bantam sized now…
I hadn't been following this thread, so I had to look back a few pages to see more photos of Chippy.

I can rule out some of the possible parents based on color.
Chippy is a male with a lot of gold, some black, no silver, and no white barring.
So I am ruling out any Silver mother, or any father who is expected to be pure for Silver, or any parent who is expected to be pure for Extended Black, or any mother with barring.

I can't be sure about some of the crossbreeds. If you posted photos of the possible parents somewhere, I didn't look hard enough to find them.

Fathers
Golden Sebright bantam
Cochin x easter egger
Buff Cochin
Silver Duckwing OEGB
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Silver Duckwing OEGB mix

Mothers
Barred Rock
Delaware

Black Breasted Red OEG
Buff Cochin bantam x
Golden Sebright bantam
Blue cochin bantam
Black cochin bantam
Buff Orpington
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Black Sex Link
Maran
Crevecoeur
Crevecoeur cross (bantam sized)
Lakenvelder
White Crested Black Polish
Black Jersey Giant
White Leghorn

White Silkie
Buff Cochin
Silver Leghorn
Cochin x easter egger
Leg feathering: Chippy should have at least one parent with feathered legs, possibly both.

Comb: Chippy appears to have one copy of the pea comb gene. (I'm seeing a small part sticking out on each side of the main central comb, when I zoom in on some of the photos.) To produce that, one parent must be one of the part-Easter Eggers, or the Silkie, or maybe one of mixes where you didn't state what the other part is. Chippy's other parent could show any possible comb type, because any of the comb types could carry the recesive genes that produce the rest of his comb appearance.

I agree with what NatJ wrote. What is the coloring for the male and female Easter egger/Cochin crosses? I think one of them has to be one of the parents.

I think the father must be either the buff Cochin or the Easter egger/Cochin cross if he has gold or buff in his plumage.

If the Cochin is the father then I would expect the mother is the EE/Cochin cross.

If the EE/Cochin is the father then I think the mother could be the buff Cochin, the black sex link or the EE/Cochin cross.

My best guess is the EE/Cochin as the father and the black sex link as the mother.

All based on deductive reasoning, but it is only conjecture. You may never know the full truth. But he's a handsome, healthy bird regardless of his parentage.

I agree with what NatJ wrote. What is the coloring for the male and female Easter egger/Cochin crosses? I think one of them has to be one of the parents.

I think the father must be either the buff Cochin or the Easter egger/Cochin cross if he has gold or buff in his plumage.

If the Cochin is the father then I would expect the mother is the EE/Cochin cross.

If the EE/Cochin is the father then I think the mother could be the buff Cochin, the black sex link or the EE/Cochin cross.

My best guess is the EE/Cochin as the father and the black sex link as the mother.

All based on deductive reasoning, but it is only conjecture. You may never know the full truth. But he's a handsome, healthy bird regardless of his parentage.

I wonder if any of Chippy's offspring would lay color eggs? That would be interesting.

What is the coloring for the male and female Easter egger/Cochin crosses
They're all black with some gold markings on the hackle feathers.
They all look the same, except the roo has more gold/maroon markings.

Some have almost no gold markings, while others have a little more.
1655822896867.png

1655822908767.png

Some photos of the possible parents are in this thread, specifically page 2.

Will try to snap a photo of the Black Sex link later.

If it helps, the mothers (2) of ALL my Cochin X EE looked something like this: They were EE's from TSC (found photos online, as the parents were not from our flock so I don't have any photos)
1655823124169.png

One was exactly like this, and one was a little lighter and more brown than orange.

The father looked like an average all black bantam cochin.

Attachments

• 1655823131345.png
    1655823131345.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
I wonder if any of Chippy's offspring would lay color eggs? That would be interesting.
It would!
Not sure if it would be possible though. Because not all of our Cochin X EE's lay blue eggs. I have 5 of them, and 3 lay blue eggs and the other two lay a cream colored egg.
If the cream layer was the mother of Chippy, then I don't believe Chippy could produce blue-egg laying offspring.
@NatJ @JacinLarkwell would it be possible for Chippy to produce blue/green-egg laying offspring?

They're all black with some gold markings on the hackle feathers.
They all look the same, except the roo has more gold/maroon markings.

Some have almost no gold markings, while others have a little more.
View attachment 3157099
View attachment 3157100

Some photos of the possible parents are in this thread, specifically page 2.

Will try to snap a photo of the Black Sex link later.

If it helps, the mothers (2) of ALL my Cochin X EE looked something like this: They were EE's from TSC (found photos online, as the parents were not from our flock so I don't have any photos)
View attachment 3157106
One was exactly like this, and one was a little lighter and more brown than orange.

The father looked like an average all black bantam cochin.
Has Snickers started to lay? If so what color are the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom