10 week blue laced red wyandotte gender?

Roo or pullet?

• Roo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pullet

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No idea!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suliah

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Muskegon, MI
At 8 weeks people guessed cockerel... but the comb is still not growing, wattles are just barely starting to come in, and the lacing is over the whole chicken (from what I understand this doesn't usually happen in roos)... This is my first and only BLRW and I love it! I don't know whether I want it to be male or female, I can have roos... But I don't want fighting and I've got at least 2 others in this batch of 8 chicks...

Still thinking Roo?

He/she is adorable! Love the lacing....Gotta have one of those now!
droolin.gif

At 8 weeks people guessed cockerel... but the comb is still not growing, wattles are just barely starting to come in, and the lacing is over the whole chicken (from what I understand this doesn't usually happen in roos)... This is my first and only BLRW and I love it! I don't know whether I want it to be male or female, I can have roos... But I don't want fighting and I've got at least 2 others in this batch of 8 chicks...

It's not all that uncommon for the males to have lacing all over before they start getting in their saddle and hackle feathers. I made that mistake with my first BLRWs. I held out hope for way too long that one of my males was actually female due to his nice all over lacing. I really think that the shape of the comb and the size and color of the wattles are the best indicator of sex in wyandottes. It's hard to make that determination when you only have one. Cockerels have much larger wattles at that age. I'm pretty confident that this one is a pullet. :)

Thanks all! Now I kinda wish I had a male of these...

I have a wheaten marans roo, what do you think a wheaten marans x BLRW would look like?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom