6 week old salmon faverolles, trouble figuring out which one is the cockerel

Lynnshollow

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
Hi! I got these from a hatchery and they are supposed to be 5 pullets and 1 cockerel. At first I thought the lightest colored one (#4) was the cockerel and his feathers were coming in slower, as I read that happens with this breed sometimes and he was also the smallest one. The other 5 also treat this one differently, as he/she is by far the most timid and the other chicks tend to lie on top or shield them from me... which is not the sort of temperament I would expect from a cockerel? They're the only chick that really looks different though, but as more feathers are coming in I'm starting to think these are all pullets. All the chicks have cream colored chests or light freckles and the only black feathers are on all of them at the very edges of the wings which seems common in pullets. The grey feathers on their backs seem to get buried under the brown ones as they come in too.

I have a relative that ended up with an extra 6 week old black copper maran cockerel, so if I really don't have any cockerels I would like to adopt theirs. I just don't want to make a mistake and end up with 2 cockerels! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fronts numbered.png

backs numbered.png

Hi! I got these from a hatchery and they are supposed to be 5 pullets and 1 cockerel. At first I thought the lightest colored one (#4) was the cockerel and his feathers were coming in slower, as I read that happens with this breed sometimes and he was also the smallest one. The other 5 also treat this one differently, as he/she is by far the most timid and the other chicks tend to lie on top or shield them from me... which is not the sort of temperament I would expect from a cockerel? They're the only chick that really looks different though, but as more feathers are coming in I'm starting to think these are all pullets. All the chicks have cream colored chests or light freckles and the only black feathers are on all of them at the very edges of the wings which seems common in pullets. The grey feathers on their backs seem to get buried under the brown ones as they come in too.

I have a relative that ended up with an extra 6 week old black copper maran cockerel, so if I really don't have any cockerels I would like to adopt theirs. I just don't want to make a mistake and end up with 2 cockerels! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 3072616
View attachment 3072620
All pullets, 100%

Back
Top Bottom