7 year old chicken

Witch300

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
OK so what if you have a chicken and she is a little over 7 years of age and has not started laying again what should I do

Depends upon what your needs/desires are. Some say dinner table. Some say enjoy retirement. Personally I say keep her experience in the flock to help the subsequent generations be smarter about predators and what's good to eat.

If you need birds strictly for eggs, then cull her - even if she resumes laying her laying cycle will most likely get shorter and more sporadic over the years. If you don't mind having retired hens as pets, then no reason not to keep her around.

One of my nearly 8-yr-old hens laid for about a month this spring. Nice to have a few extra eggs since I have quite a lot of slackers, but the quality of the eggs is quite poor so I don't mind the fact that she's now stopped.

My oldest laying hen is about 8-9yrs old, & is a Chinese Silkie. Hasn't gone broody this year yet though.

Some birds I decide to butcher, others I let continue living to old age. That depends on if it's a chicken I was keeping as a pet, or food later on.
(I go both ways with my birds, food, & pets)

She's an old lady, you can't expect her to lay though she may here and there.
Mine get to live as long as they're able
Thank you I have decided to keep her to help my new hens coming in the coop soon that and I really do love her she is a hen with a personality

Back
Top Bottom