Accidentally killed my own chicken! :(

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
Not many of us here are vets, and we try to act in the best interest of our birds for their health and safety... Please be careful when giving shots... I gave my Honey bird a shot of Penicillin because the hens had been looking a little off for a few days... and I thought to try a three day round of medicine, and vitamins in the water. I had given shots before, and never had an incident, but I think I may have accidentally hit a vain and she died a few seconds later. I feel bad because I wanted to help her not kill her!
sad.png
My remaining hen is looking much better this morning. She was clucking and moving around with her tail up. Her combe and wattles looked brighter too. So I feel like the choice was a good one. I am just sad because, after the horrible heat this summer and now this I only have 2 birds from my starter flock. I am raising up some (6) babies right now. They have started sounding more like hens and less like chicks, but they are not laying yet.

Hon, you don't know whether you hit a vein or she had an allergic reaction. You didn't kill her!

LEt me tell you MY tragic chicken story- I had two battery hens that were ragged and always stuck together, and ended up being the FRIENDLIEST things. They would come right up to your feet when you walked outside or came homet my kids out of.

Well, I came home, got out of the van, and slammed the heavy door shut.

right.on.friendly.chickens. head.

at least it was a quick death.....

Sorry to both of you. How sad.
With the shots, I do not know if this is relevant or notfor a chicken, but when my husband gives me my allergy shots, he has to pull back a little on the plunger to make sure he is not in a vein. If he sees blood , he has to remove it and hit me again. I am not too wild about the extra jab, but I do not want to have to use the epi pen either.
Maybe next time you can try that.
As far as the door and the inquisitive hen...I think we have all smashed something. But it still makes you feel rotten for a while. Sorry.

Quote:
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm not 'up' on giving shots, never did it. I've been fortunate not to have to use antibiotics yet...but if the time came, I'd be afraid to do it and would most likely try an antibiotic mixed in their water or give it directly orally. I just dont have the confidence to give injections.

Sorry to hear that about your hen. I am diabetic for 21 years. It is habit to pull back on the plunger to make sure I am not in a vein. It is always a good idea to do that. There are going to be accidents, as long as you try, and learn from it.

i smashed my hens foot...

and my son was shutting our sliding glass door, and a hens head was in the door and she wasn't moving.. Well I didn't wan to lose the hen so I jammed my hand inbetween the door and the jam. Gave myself a pretty good scrape, but it healed and my hen is still alive and kicking.

Quote:
Actually, penicilin in the vein could kill them. I had been a vet tech for years, and we were always told when giving pen injections, to pull back the syringe first, before injecting, to make sure you don't get any blood. I'm really sorry for your loss. I wish they would put a warning on the Penicilin bottles about that.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm not 'up' on giving shots, never did it. I've been fortunate not to have to use antibiotics yet...but if the time came, I'd be afraid to do it and would most likely try an antibiotic mixed in their water or give it directly orally. I just dont have the confidence to give injections.

Even though I am used to giving shots, I would probably go the antibiotic in the water route too. Less stressfull on the bird. I guess it would depend on what you were treating the bird for. I actually had a hen that had a kidney infection last winter ( I was fortunate at the time to be able to afford to take her to our Avian vet) I had to give her pills! Believe it or not, it was easier than giving my cats pills. Never thought I would ever say that I pilled a chicken!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom