Any Home Bakers Here?

@tjo804 wonderful looking birds and those chicks are the cutest little things!

Thank you I think they are cute I think ChipChip has a dominant gene I just hope they get nicer combs
roll.png

I didnt think they would hatch, Been a long and sleepless learning experience.

@NorthFLChick do you think the cheese straws would be as good if I used the cookie press but made them into straight straws with the star plate?
Try it, they should be fine.

Even the ones I made from the last of the dough and rolled and cut or just rolled and flattened are quite good - just firmer/crisper.

I use the wreath disc 'cause that's what my Mom did.

But the consistency of this dough works well for the Mirro Cookie Press Shapes, don't know about the more modern presses.

@tjo804 Thanks for posting the pics, you have a lovely flock, and those baby chicks are so precious.

Last edited:
 What to do with left over ham? Found this recipe on Betty Crocker's site, an original 1950's recipe for Bisquik but would be better with real homemade crust - reviews on several sites are 5 stars, but most recommend increasing the filling recipe volume for bought crusts.

Ham, Pineapple and Cheddar Quiche

Ingredients:

Crust:

• 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups Original Bisquick
    2122.png
    mix
  • 2 tablespoons boiling water

Filling :

• 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped cooked ham (4 oz)
  • 3 medium green onions, sliced (3 tablespoons)
  • 1 can (8 oz) pineapple tidbits in juice, well drained
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup half-and-half
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. In medium bowl, cut butter into Bisquick mix, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until crumbly. Add boiling water; stir vigorously until soft dough forms. Press dough on bottom and up side of pie plate, using fingers dipped in Bisquick mix, forming edge on rim of pie plate.
Sprinkle cheese, ham, onions and pineapple in crust. In medium bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half and pepper until blended. Pour into crust.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Edited to add: You need to add salt to the egg mixture, try at least 1/4 tsp.

Last edited:
Good morning bakers!

I have a new resolution for 2016. I've long been a fan of the Dough Makers baking sheet I've owned for years (used to have 2 but lost 1 in a move
hit.gif
) but I just got one of their loaf pans through Amazon and love it! My resolution is to add their cake pans, another baking sheet and at least 1 more loaf pan. This will take a while, they aren't cheap but they are worth every penny! They are a good weight, stuff doesn't stick because of their pebbly surface and they clean up great.

Here's their website if you want to look:
http://www.doughmakers.com/
(Shop around online for lower prices, I don't think these are available at stores)

I've had it with cheap bake ware. It just makes sense in the long run to spend a bit more to get something that is going to last a long time.

I just wanted to share, Cutest thing ever today! I showed my Granddaughter her first Chirping egg . She is holding it gently and just the look on her face! She said "Grandma there is a baby in here we must take it inside!" I explained how the broodie would help the baby to come out and showed her where the Chick had pipped. She will be so happy when she gets here in the morning Because that chick hatched tonight! It is amazing the things we can learn and teach with chickens there is always a life lesson
So sweet!

Good morning bakers!

I have a new resolution for 2016. I've long been a fan of the Dough Makers baking sheet I've owned for years (used to have 2 but lost 1 in a move
hit.gif
) but I just got one of their loaf pans through Amazon and love it! My resolution is to add their cake pans, another baking sheet and at least 1 more loaf pan. This will take a while, they aren't cheap but they are worth every penny! They are a good weight, stuff doesn't stick because of their pebbly surface and they clean up great.

(Shop around online for lower prices, I don't think these are available at stores)

I've had it with cheap bake ware. It just makes sense in the long run to spend a bit more to get something that is going to last a long time.

IMO the better ones more than make up for the cost over time. I hate those bake pans that flip up when placed in the oven..
rant.gif

Good morning bakers!

hit.gif

My kind of resolution!
Spend more, eat more
gig.gif

No seriously, those look great! I'm going to have to look into getting some. Some of the stuff I have is fairly cheap and works ok. I have one pot that was my Grandmas, and I use it all the time it's probably 50yrs old. I am a great fan of cast iron, got most mine when we married and it's over 23yrs old and still works like a charm. The one cast iron pan I'm waiting for, hopefully for many more years, is the one my Mom has, it's very large and was my Great Grandmothers', not sure how old this one is, Mom is 85 and remembers her Gram using it. She still uses it on a regular basis and it is beautiful.

IMO the better ones more than make up for the cost over time. I hate those bake pans that flip up when placed in the oven..
rant.gif

I have one of those and it drives me crazy! Can hardly wait to throw it out.

My kind of resolution!
Spend more, eat more
gig.gif

No seriously, those look great! I'm going to have to look into getting some. Some of the stuff I have is fairly cheap and works ok. I have one pot that was my Grandmas, and I use it all the time it's probably 50yrs old. I am a great fan of cast iron, got most mine when we married and it's over 23yrs old and still works like a charm. The one cast iron pan I'm waiting for, hopefully for many more years, is the one my Mom has, it's very large and was my Great Grandmothers', not sure how old this one is, Mom is 85 and remembers her Gram using it. She still uses it on a regular basis and it is beautiful.

That's wonderful getting the cast iron that has been in the family so long. Lots of family meals cooked up in those, good memories
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom