Any Home Bakers Here?

Having a gluten free day here as my daughter has a gluten intolerant friend over. The carrot cake went down a treat and I'm doing pizza for dinner because my daughter said she'd mentioned she was looking forward to my gf pizza again. Problem is I can't quite remember what I did last time duh lol. I'm sure I tweaked our regular pizza dough but can't remember how! Oh well fingers crossed I figure it out
1f633.png

I've ben MIA from this thread for a long time
hide.gif
but I signed on today and am already cracking up over the biscuit discrepancies on each side of the pond. I'm no expert, but I always thought what Americans call biscuits, the English call crumpets & what the English call biscuits, the Americans call cookies. I thought scones were an entirely different thing, more like a rolled, filled pastry, but again I'm not entirely clear on any of it.

My question today is; Does anybody have any experience baking with Agave nectar and/or Sucanat? I noticed they've got the Agave in bulk at my Costco & I've heard its 25% sweeter than honey & a much lower glycemic index than cane sugar. I have been looking at some recipes & it seems you have to mess with the liquid content & sweeten to taste. It all seems very inexact. Has anybody tried it & if so, what do you think?

the English call crumpets
No, crumpets are another thing entirely, I don't know whether they have those in America at all. Crumpets are a yeast dough, cooked on a griddle. They have holes in the top. We buy them precooked, and we heat them up/brown them in the toaster and then smother them in butter and honey (or whatever).

If the recipes say to mess with the liquid content, then I'd just be reducing the milk by a teaspoon, or however much sweetener you are adding, so that you've still got a cup (or whatever) not a cup plus however much sweetener you've put in.

No, crumpets are another thing entirely, I don't know whether they have those in America at all. Crumpets are a yeast dough, cooked on a griddle. They have holes in the top. We buy them precooked, and we heat them up/brown them in the toaster and then smother them in butter and honey (or whatever).

If the recipes say to mess with the liquid content, then I'd just be reducing the milk by a teaspoon, or however much sweetener you are adding, so that you've still got a cup (or whatever) not a cup plus however much sweetener you've put in.
That sounds YUMMY!
droolin.gif

Thank you. That makes complete sense. The directions said to replace 1 cup granulated sugar with 3/4 cup Agave then adjust 30% of the liquid. I think the conversion from cups to percent's in the same sentence is throwing me off. I need to go back a million years & remember the old fraction conversion lessons.

No, crumpets are another thing entirely, I don't know whether they have those in America at all.  Crumpets are a yeast dough, cooked on a griddle.  They have holes in the top.  We buy them precooked, and we heat them up/brown them in the toaster and then smother them in butter and honey (or whatever).

I actually cooked some myself once out of the woman's weekly cookbook. Wasn't quite the same though. I suspect there is more sugar in the bought ones and mine tasted a bit oily. Maybe a non stick pan would have been better. Was a lot more work than opening a pack though lol

@room onthebroomThink it's more
Biscuit = cookie
Savory scone = biscuit. (Can't imagine dipping our regular ones in gravy
1f633.png
Lol)
Crumpet =
Buttered_crumpet2.jpg

Last edited:
I actually cooked some myself once out of the woman's weekly cookbook. Wasn't quite the same though. I suspect there is more sugar in the bought ones and mine tasted a bit oily. Maybe a non stick pan would have been better. Was a lot more work than opening a pack though lol

@room onthebroom Think it's more
Biscuit = cookie
Savory scone = biscuit. (Can't imagine dipping our regular ones in gravy
1f633.png
Lol)
Crumpet =
Good to know! Next question; What do you pour gravy over? As I'm typing this, I'm laughing and thinking about my Italian friends who call spaghetti sauce gravy... The world is a very funny, delicious place!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom