4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups allpurpose flour
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/4 cups 2% milk
10 tablespoons butter, cubed

Directions

1. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemoncolored.
Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and
fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to batter; beat at low speed until smooth.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted. Gradually add to batter; beat just until combined.
3. Pour into a greased 13in.x 9in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35
minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.

1 serving (1 piece) equals 254 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.

After seeing these post I recall making this cake many many years ago. I don't know why but it slipped my mind. I'll blame the birds. I became a breeder so most of my attention is on the birds. I love to bake. What I made was more cake like. The methods I've googled are a bit different in preparation. I used my mixer and mixed my batter with it and poured it in a pan. I guess maybe back in the depression they may not have used mixers even hand mixers. My first mixer was a hand mixer. This is what I used to make the cake.
My recipe says to make wells and put the vanilla in one, oil in another, vinegar in the third and stir with a fork...right in the pan. I don't do that, I combine all dry in a bowl and all wet in a measuring cup and combine the two and use a whisk and stir just until combined.

Interesting!
Post some photos (?) and let us know how it works!

I too have just been lurking and reading...drooling over everyone's goodies.  Hot weather I don't bake much, but canning season is coming soon...

Ok, well, I think it could have worked well, but when the hotdog was cooking it became very windy which caused the outside of the hotdog to look cooked, but the inside wasn't cooked at all. Here's some pics:

We ended up feeding the hotdog to our dogs. :lol: Also, if you ever want to try this, just asked me for more detailed instructions on how to make it if you can't tell from the pics. If you can tell what we did from looking at the pics, you have to preheat the oven in the sun for 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer and when the hotdog reaches 160F, it's finished. You want to pick a day that is very sunny and warm, with little to no wind.

Ok, well, I think it could have worked well, but when the hotdog was cooking it became very windy which caused the outside of the hotdog to look cooked, but the inside wasn't cooked at all. Here's some pics:

We ended up feeding the hotdog to our dogs.
lol.png
Also, if you ever want to try this, just asked me for more detailed instructions on how to make it if you can't tell from the pics. If you can tell what we did from looking at the pics, you have to preheat the oven in the sun for 30 minutes. Use a meat thermometer and when the hotdog reaches 160F, it's finished. You want to pick a day that is very sunny and warm, with little to no wind.
That's pretty cool!
I think I get the concept. One of those things to stash in the back of your mind to make/try one day. (Good excuse to buy and eat a can of Pringles
big_smile.png
).

Thanks for sharing.

Baked some Savory Crackers with my Sourdough "Discard" today and wanted to share the recipe....they are quite tasty.

• King Arthur’s Sourdough Crackers
  • ***comments added by Sunflour between the asterisks*
Here's the perfect solution to your discarded sourdough dilemma.
The rosemary, while optional, complements the tang of the sourdough perfectly.

Ingredients

• 1 cup King Arthur Premium Whole Wheat Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour *** or a mixture of AP, Wheat/Rye*
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt***or regular salt*
  • 1 cup unfed ("discarded") sourdough starter*** 8 oz by weight*
  • 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature *** or Olive Oil = 3 Tablespoons or mix of both*
  • 2 tablespoons dried herbs of your choice, optional*** and/or cheese, spices.
  • oil for brushing*** definitely use if adding salt or other sprinkle on top*
  • coarse salt (such as kosher or sea salt) for sprinkling on top *** only do this if you really love salt*

Directions

• Mix together the flour, salt, sourdough starter, butter, and optional herbs to make a smooth(not sticky), cohesive dough.
  • Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a small rectangular slab. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to a couple of hours, until the dough is firm.
  • *** using Olive Oil I don’t think refrigerating is necessary, but have not tried it yet*
  • Preheat the oven to 400°F.***most reviewers recommend 350 instead - I used 350 and baked them 15-16 minutes)*
  • Very lightly flour a piece of parchment, your rolling pin, and the top of the dough.
  • Working with one piece at a time, roll the dough to about 1/16" thick. The dough will have ragged, uneven edges; that's OK. Just try to make it as even as possible.
  • Transfer the dough and parchment together onto a baking sheet. Lightly brush with oil and then sprinkle the salt over the top of the crackers.
  • Cut the dough into 1 1/4" squares; a rolling pizza wheel works well here.
  • Prick each square with the tines of a fork.
  • Bake the crackers for about 20 minutes, until the squares are starting to brown around the edges.
  • When fully browned, remove the crackers from the oven, and transfer them to a cooling rack.*** I left mine on the pan awhile and pulled the parchment onto a counter to cool*
  • Store airtight at room temperature for up to a week; freeze for longer storage.
  • Yield: about 100 crackers, 20 servings.***I don't think I got 100 crackers and looks like it may only be 2 servings
    lau.gif

Reviewers offer many suggestions on the KA site of other optional herbs/spices/cheese to try.

Made mine with Whole Wheat Flour, Olive Oil. 2 Tbs grated Paremesan Cheese, 1 Tbs dried Basil, 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder and 1/8 tsp of Onion Powder. They are quite tasty - just wish I had left off the salt topping.

They state the dough can be frozen up to 3 months, or refrigerated no more than overnight ( it will oxidize and turn gray). One reviewer stated it kept in fridge 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom