Any Home Bakers Here?

My 14 year old has been busy baking.

She has far more patience than me
1f602.png
This looks great!

I made these little cookies yesterday:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-almond-flour-shortbread-cookies-recipe

Pretty tasty (and the guys at work loved them).

I made the thumbprint version and the couple things I would keep in mind next time are:
- make a double batch (a single only makes about 15 little cookies)
- use jam for the filling (I made some with cherry jam and some with grape jelly...the jelly melted down into the cookie, the jam kept it's shape and in the "thumbprint")

eta the photo
Tasty! Thanks for the tips NFC!

I love the surprise of the inside colors :jumpy   Dare to be different :D

Looks like an original idea -  Did she plan the colors herself or follow a recipe?

It is so wonderful to see examples of the young doing the things many of us loved at that age :)

That takes some skill and patience right there! If she has the patience for that, you should get her to make eclairs!

I made these little cookies yesterday:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-almond-flour-shortbread-cookies-recipe

Pretty tasty (and the guys at work loved them).

I made the thumbprint version and the couple things I would keep in mind next time are:
- make a double batch (a single only makes about 15 little cookies)
- use jam for the filling (I made some with cherry jam and some with grape jelly...the jelly melted down into the cookie, the jam kept it's shape and in the "thumbprint")

eta the photo

those look inviting and tasty:)

Dumb question: does Almond Flour taste like Almond?
idunno.gif

those look inviting and tasty:)

Dumb question: does Almond Flour taste like Almond?
idunno.gif

Not a dumb question at all! I wondered too, the cookies are the 1st thing I've made with the almond flour...it is just very finely ground almonds. The cookies tasted differently from wheat flour cookies but I can't say they really had an almond taste. Maybe I'll use almond extract next time in place of the vanilla extract to see if that draws more of an almond taste out.

I love the surprise of the inside colors :jumpy   Dare to be different :D

Looks like an original idea -  Did she plan the colors herself or follow a recipe?

It is so wonderful to see examples of the young doing the things many of us loved at that age :)

Somebody she watches on YouTube tried and failed at it so she wanted to make one too
1f60b.png
So she did a double cake mix and divided and coloured bowls of it

Last edited:
Somebody she watches on YouTube tried and failed at it so she wanted to make one too
1f60b.png
So she did a double cake mix and divided and colored bowls of it
I have always wanted to do something like that, but mom was like ''you will get cancer from food coloring''. :smack oh well, i guess she might be right. :idunno

I have always wanted to do something like that, but mom was like ''you will get cancer from food coloring''. :smack oh well, i guess she might be right. :idunno

Lol. That's normally me and I have natural food colours in the cupboard. I can't remember why I have these, I think they were to paint a picture on the icing of a birthday cake and the natural ones don't work real well for that. She had already mixed them in before I saw what she was doing. I never usually use artificial food colouring either.

Not a dumb question at all! I wondered too, the cookies are the 1st thing I've made with the almond flour...it is just very finely ground almonds. The cookies tasted differently from wheat flour cookies but I can't say they really had an almond taste. Maybe I'll use almond extract next time in place of the vanilla extract to see if that draws more of an almond taste out.

Thanks, I'll stick to Almond Extract
big_smile.png
No room in the pantry for more flours.

1f60b.png
So she did a double cake mix and divided and coloured bowls of it

I stick by my comment "dare to be different". And she took on the challenge with success
clap.gif

Personally I have no fear of food colors - except trying to clean white tile and grout after using them
wink.png
Not to mention fingers and hands
hmm.png
. And -- never, never eat a cake with black icing - you'll have black teeth all day:(

Oh man, finally finished reading all the posts! Thumbprint cookies, breads, pies, rainbow cakes (made by your daughter appps
1f44d.png
Good job!)! You guys have been busy. Had it been raining everywhere this weekend
1f633.png
1f602.png
? I have had a huge bucket and box full of apples in my garage for a week. I haven't had the time to get to them. Finally Saturday I realized they would rot if I didn't do something with them, so Saturday I canned a little over 30 quart jars of apple sauce. It was a long day made longer by two high energy boys stuck inside with all the rain who were bored of their mom cutting apples! Haha. I forced myself to finish it all Saturday, so I would get a brake Sunday, but instead my oldest decided he needed to be obsessed with using the pumpkin we got from our farm share and wanting to make pumpkin pie
1f615.png
. I got sick of him talking about it, so we ended up making pumpkin pie. Right now I have pumpkin bread in the oven to give the new neighbors who moved in a few weeks ago. I still haven't brought over anything, but will fix that today. And just pulled out some pumpkin muffins for the daycare kids. I still have pumpkin left over, but it's in the freezer to use another time.

Back
Top Bottom