Any Home Bakers Here?

She had a deal with the produce manager at her grocery store. He'd set aside all the over-ripe, bruised fruit for her (boxes of it) and she'd sort through it all, clean up and prep it for various fruit pies and keep the fillings stored in her freezer. She'd also make up dozens of pie crusts and freeze those. Dad fixed up their minivan with racks so the baked pies wouldn't roll around loose while they drove to the craft fairs.

They had quite a little biz going for themselves, lol.
Sounded like it was great!
Quote:
Welcome back!

OK so I made pizza in the crock pot tonight it turned out OK. The bottom got a little soggy because of all the greese from to much cheese and not making the bottom thick enough trying another. We at work (dance hall) so we will see how this one turns out

Please share, it sounds good
It's called "Pushcart Sausage and Peppers" from "Slow Cooker:The best cookbook ever" by Diane Phillips
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1.5 teasp salt
0.5 teasp ground black pepper
1 tblspoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoon tomato paste
Cut into half rounds
2 medium onions
3 medium red onions
Seeded and sliced:
2 medium red capsicums (bell peppers)
2 medium yellow capsicums
2 medium orange capsicums
3 pounds (about a kilo) sweet italian sausages

mix up the oil, seasonings, sugar, paste in the cooker insert
add capsicums and onions, stir to coat,
Add the sausages, cook for 5 hours on high until the sausages are cooked through. Skim off any fat.

I only had brown onions and red capsicums, so I didn't stick exactly to the recipe. I also didn't put in that much salt and I used different sausages from the continental deli. The main thing was that it was very little effort, it just cooked itself and I got to use up some capsicums.

The easiest and one of my favorite pies to make is a caramel pie. Just 2 cans condensed milk makes 1 pie! Boil the cans in a large pot of water for 4 hours making sure water stays over the cans the whole time or they will explode! (I use my pressure cooker but I usually make more than 1 pie at a time too) after the cans are done boiling let them stand 10 mins then pour them into the pie crust of your choice (I prefer graham) place them in the fridge to cool,top with whipped cream, a little bit of chocolate syrup and enjoy!

Last edited:
It's called "Pushcart Sausage and Peppers" from "Slow Cooker:The best cookbook ever" by Diane Phillips
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1.5 teasp salt
0.5 teasp ground black pepper
1 tblspoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoon tomato paste
Cut into half rounds
2 medium onions
3 medium red onions
Seeded and sliced:
2 medium red capsicums (bell peppers)
2 medium yellow capsicums
2 medium orange capsicums
3 pounds (about a kilo) sweet italian sausages

mix up the oil, seasonings, sugar, paste in the cooker insert
add capsicums and onions, stir to coat,
Add the sausages, cook for 5 hours on high until the sausages are cooked through. Skim off any fat.

I only had brown onions and red capsicums, so I didn't stick exactly to the recipe. I also didn't put in that much salt and I used different sausages from the continental deli. The main thing was that it was very little effort, it just cooked itself and I got to use up some capsicums.

I've cooked something very similar on the stove top in a skillet before but never tried it in the crock pot. I wonder if the slower cooking brings more depth of flavor to it?

I'll have to try this way out this winter, sounds like it would be a nice warm dinner. Thanks @potato chip

The easiest and one of my favorite pies to make is a caramel pie. Just 2 cans condensed milk makes 1 pie! Boil the cans in a large pot of water for 4 hours making sure water stays over the cans the whole time or they will explode! (I use my pressure cooker but I usually make more than 1 pie at a time too) after the cans are done boiling let them stand 10 mins then pour them into the pie crust of your choice (I prefer graham) place them in the fridge to cool,top with whipped cream, a little bit of chocolate syrup and enjoy!

So the condensed milk is the only ingredient for the filling?

Back
Top Bottom