Any Home Bakers Here?

It's been awhile since I've been here. I had the worst summer ever. All my chickens caught some respiratory thing that is making its way through North Texas and had to be culled. I tried two different meds, and neither worked. It was awful!! :hit
I'm letting the area sit to disinfect until spring. I have a new list of chicks to get all ready to go. :)

I've been baking a ton. That's been going great. :) I baked this today. Sourdough pumpkin bread with spices.
So sorry to hear about your flock. How sad.
Your bread is beautiful - I actually thought the loaves were real squash until I read that they were bread loaves. So cute!

I do NOT own a pressure cooker. When I was first married, we received a pressure cooker for a gift. I cooked LENTILS in the cooker.....had an explosion all over the white ceiling. Got rid of the pressure cooker and NEVER used one again.

It was first and terrible experience. ha ha Aria

I've always been a little fearful of them, but the ones available these days have a safety plug to prevent that....but my aunt in the old days blew a turkey to the attic :lau or so I was told. The best thing about pressure cookers in my house is that my DH loves to use them:)

It's been awhile since I've been here. I had the worst summer ever. All my chickens caught some respiratory thing that is making its way through North Texas and had to be culled. I tried two different meds, and neither worked. It was awful!! :hit
I'm letting the area sit to disinfect until spring. I have a new list of chicks to get all ready to go. :)

I've been baking a ton. That's been going great. :) I baked this today. Sourdough pumpkin bread with spices.

So sorry about your losses, I can only image how it would be to lose one's entire flock :hugs. Glad you are looking to the future and new beginnings :)

I am a bit under the weather taking to my bed for today

So sorry, hope it's nothing severe and you get well soon. :hugs

That bread is gorgeous!

but the ones available these days have a safety plug to prevent that....
It makes a mess if you take the lid off before it's cooled right down and the pressure's gone down. Yes, the modern ones have it so you can't take the lid off until it's cool and the pressure has gone down. You just can't "paint the ceiling" with the modern ones like you can with the old Hawkins.

I've always been a little fearful of them, but the ones available these days have a safety plug to prevent that....but my aunt in the old days blew a turkey to the attic :lau or so I was told. The best thing about pressure cookers in my house is that my DH loves to use them:)
My mom blew carrots all over the kitchen ceiling once... They went through the steam valve when she took the weight off!

It makes a mess if you take the lid off before it's cooled right down and the pressure's gone down. Yes, the modern ones have it so you can't take the lid off until it's cool and the pressure has gone down. You just can't "paint the ceiling" with the modern ones like you can with the old Hawkins.
Mine is new and while you can't take the LID off, you can still remove the weight and release the pressure while it is hot. You CAN get food blown through the valve when you remove the weight. What I do is throw a towel over the top of the lid and remove the weight with the towel over top, this helps keep from burning me with steam and also keeps any food in the steam from hitting the ceiling, it's all trapped in the towel. Once the weight is off, I transfer the pot to my sink and run water over the lid until it's coolish to touch and with the weight off, there is no pressure and you can open it.

Exactly!
Modern pressure cookers will not open until the pressure is gone. The seals in them are silicone too so they do not blow like the old ones.

My favorite now is my new instant pot

My mom blew carrots all over the kitchen ceiling once... They went through the steam valve when she took the weight off!

Mine is new and while you can't take the LID off, you can still remove the weight and release the pressure while it is hot. You CAN get food blown through the valve when you remove the weight. What I do is throw a towel over the top of the lid and remove the weight with the towel over top, this helps keep from burning me with steam and also keeps any food in the steam from hitting the ceiling, it's all trapped in the towel. Once the weight is off, I transfer the pot to my sink and run water over the lid until it's coolish to touch and with the weight off, there is no pressure and you can open it.
You can also move the pressure cooker to the sink and run water over the lid before removing the weight. No steam that way

You CAN get food blown through the valve when you remove the weight.
You aren't meant to take it off until it's cooled down. Mum's old one, you could sort of prop it sideways, and the steam could release gradually.

My one doesn't have that old-type vent, it has a dial thing....

You do need to keep your wits about you when you use one, but I've never been scared of them, because my mum had one and made all the soup and stew in it. They can be a bit scary if you aren't used to it.

You aren't meant to take it off until it's cooled down. Mum's old one, you could sort of prop it sideways, and the steam could release gradually.

My one doesn't have that old-type vent, it has a dial thing....

You do need to keep your wits about you when you use one, but I've never been scared of them, because my mum had one and made all the soup and stew in it. They can be a bit scary if you aren't used to it.
When my mom used hers, her weight just lifted off and had a ring on it you could grab, so she would hook the ring with a fork and just lift it off when she was done. Mine, you have to lift it up some which releases steam, then unscrew it, so you fiddle with it quite a bit before it's all the way off and the pressure is gone by the time you've gotten it unscrewed. Less chance of putting carrots on the ceiling with mine.

I have managed without a Pressure for many years...think I will pass...have enough
cooking stuff.

I just baked a batch of Healthy Oatmeal Cookies......

1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple sugar
2 cups rolled oates
2 cups oat bran
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup chopped nuts pecans or walnuts or
1 cup orange juice