Any Home Bakers Here?

I have to remove between a cup and a cup and a half of starter to feed it... Any suggestions on what to make with the discard?
crumpets, coffee cake and etc.

What I do if a recipe calls for fed starter is take out the starter and let it warm up for an hour. I then add half a cup of flour and let it go bubbly for a couple of hours before using it. Usually I am making an overnight sponge so I use the amount for the bread and then replenish with flour and a bit less water than one to one. For example, use a cup of starter. Add a cup of flour and about 2\3 up of 85 degree 5 water. Stir and let bubble or sit on the counter over night.

Every couple of months or so I save half a cup of starter in a bowl and put the rest down the drain. I then clean up the jar I use to store starter and then replenish with the reserved starter and fresh flour and water.

The starter is good for the drains because of the years in it

ok, i just took the starter out of the fridge. point me to a good breakfast recipe I can use the discard for.

ETA: Bacon Waffles sound interesting....
Bacon waffles would be great...Let me see what I might have...

Here you go!

Sourdough Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake

Prep: 20 mins Level: Easy
Cook: 30 mins Serves: 9
Description
Sourdough Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake is at home on the breakfast table but it also
makes a great dessert or snack. Loaded with blueberries in the moist cake with a crisp,
sugary topping, it tastes a little like summer, maybe even better. (If you don’t bake with
sourdough, adjustments to make it without sourdough are at the end of the recipe.)
Ingredients
FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups Blueberries, Fresh Or Frozen
¼ cups Butter
¾ cups Sugar
1 whole Egg
1-¼ cup Flour
½ teaspoons Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Salt
½ cups Milk
½ cups Fresh Sourdough
FOR THE TOPPING:
¼ cups Butter
½ cups Sugar
⅓ cups Flour
½ teaspoons Cinnamon

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9×9 inch or a 7×11 pan with cooking oil spray.

For the cake:
Rinse blueberries and set aside to dry on a paper towel. Cream together butter, sugar
and egg. Add flour, baking powder and salt. As you are mixing in the dry ingredients,
pour in the milk and sourdough. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, add the dry and wet
ingredients alternately.) Blend well. Pour about 2/3 of the mixture into prepared pan.
Top with blueberries. Add remaining batter and spread over blueberries. It’s okay if
blueberries are not completely covered.

For the crisp topping:
Mix ingredients together well and sprinkle over batter in the pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
To make without sourdough:
Increase milk to 3/4 cup, flour to 1 1/2 cups and baking powder to 2 teaspoons. Omit
sourdough. Combine as directed above.

Making cheese is like raising chickens for eggs. You can get eggs from a store for a lot less but the store eggs are not as good

:thumbsup . Same can be said for pasta, baked items. Y'all are such enablers, gonna have to consider cheese making :hmm some day.

And just in case anyone was wondering...
View attachment 1267739

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Gee does that mean y'all actually count calories weekdays :barnie.

I read an article about that! Apparently our heaviest day is Monday because of the extra calories on the weekend. Our lightest day is Friday. The take away was to be more careful on weekends...but where is the fun in that?

:gig

With my current work schedule every day is the same - and odd but I eat more on work days :(

very simple recipe for mozzarella that doesn’t take much ingredients.
:thumbsup thanks for the info and link, gonna save this for a someday experience.

Japanese cooking, so I will be sure to get pictures for all of you as well as authentic recipes.

Oh my, I love authentic Japanese cooking - we had a wonderful Japanese restaurant here decades ago, most recipes were from one of the owners - one dish in particular was my fav - a cold noodle salad. I have googled but could never find anything even close to hers. Hinting....do you think you could ask your friend if they have one and willing to share?? The noodles looked like spaghetti, it had mayo and sparse very tiny cut up veggies, served cold. She did give the "secret family recipe" to a mutual friend who made it for me once...she said it took hours to prepare...but would not give ME the recipe :hit

@sunflour I think I'm going to try the metal pan. I've used glass before and wasn't thrilled about the crust, but then again I've learned that I should turn out the finished bread fairly soon which answered some questions lol.

I'm looking forward to the day by myself tomorrow. I've promised hubs I'll make him oatmeal cookies too. With apricots and shredded coconut

I use either metal loaf pans, a pizza pan for shaped rustic sourdough, cookie pans for sweet rolls, and a round heavy cake pan for dinner rolls ( so they touch and have soft edges). Reserve the glass casserole pans for some quick breads.

When you are baking and the bread/rolls are not quite done but if browning too fast then lay a sheet of aluminum foil on top.

Looking forward to pics :jumpy

I have to remove between a cup and a cup and a half of starter to feed it... Any suggestions on what to make with the discard?

Waffles :drool....If you make more than you need, they freeze and retoast quite well. I have made blueberry sourdough muffins, they are awesome.

It is out!

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Back
Top Bottom