Any Home Bakers Here?

Cheddar Bread
Buttermilk gives this cheesy quick bread a subtle tang and keeps it nice and moist. Serve with plenty of butter. Martha made this recipe on "Martha Bakes" episode 713.

Makes 1 loaf
Yield
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 7 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pan; set aside.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and 6 ounces cheese; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, and buttermilk until thoroughly combined. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared pan; spread evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle over remaining 1 ounce cheese. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
[/QUOTE]

I think I will try this to go with baked bbq chicken tonight :clap

Cheddar Bread
Buttermilk gives this cheesy quick bread a subtle tang and keeps it nice and moist. Serve with plenty of butter. Martha made this recipe on "Martha Bakes" episode 713.

Makes 1 loaf
Yield
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 7 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pan; set aside.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and 6 ounces cheese; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, and buttermilk until thoroughly combined. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared pan; spread evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle over remaining 1 ounce cheese. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.

I think I will try this to go with baked bbq chicken tonight :clap[/QUOTE]
I have baked it a couple of times and it turns out great!

Will buttermilk powder work OK in the Cheddar Bread recipe?
I was looking for cornstarch or arrowroot the other night and found 2 bags of buttermilk powder ... and I know I have at least one more in another cupboard in the kitchen.

I use it when I make Buttermilk Ranch dressing, but I think i need more recipes that use buttermilk.

Will buttermilk powder work OK in the Cheddar Bread recipe?
I was looking for cornstarch or arrowroot the other night and found 2 bags of buttermilk powder ... and I know I have at least one more in another cupboard in the kitchen.

I use it when I make Buttermilk Ranch dressing, but I think i need more recipes that use buttermilk.
I use plain yogurt that I make.

You can use the buttermilk powder, plain yogurt and sour cream. You can also put a tablespoon of vinegar into a cup of milk.

It needs acid to react with the baking soda

I have used Saco butermilk powder before:

upload_2018-10-15_14-1-49.png

Instructions for using:

upload_2018-10-15_14-4-27.png

Back
Top Bottom