Any Home Bakers Here?

today am starting to make venison or deer bacon. made it once before turned out okay (a little strong tasting in the smoke and salt department)

right now got some brisket? maybe flank or belly meat. in a cure that i saw on the internet a while back. pretty much its just salt, pepper, cure and pumpkin spice.
i also trimmed all the fat off because this is a mule deer and the fat can tasty like sage.
Yum! :drool

I use brown sugar rarely and was always finding it as hard as a brick when I needed it. I started folding up a paper towel, moisten it with water, place it in a sandwich bag with the flip over flap and place it inside the bag of brown sugar. I have never had any hard brown sugar since I started doing this.
That is fabulous info! I use a terra cotta critter but not a perfect solution. How long does your procedure work?

That is fabulous info! I use a terra cotta critter but not a perfect solution. How long does your procedure work?
As long as the paper towel stays damp, the sugar stays soft. Whenever I use any brown sugar, I replace the paper towel if needed or just re-wet the one that is there.

I use brown sugar rarely and was always finding it as hard as a brick when I needed it. I started folding up a paper towel, moisten it with water, place it in a sandwich bag with the flip over flap and place it inside the bag of brown sugar. I have never had any hard brown sugar since I started doing this.
Good tip! Mine rarely goes hard but if it does I toss a slice of bread on top. It doesn’t take very long and it’s moist again.

I haven't bought brown sugar in years. I just keep molasses on hand and when I need it, i make it. You just take 1 cup of regular sugar and stir in 1 TBS molasses for light brown sugar and 2 TBS for dark brown :)

Thanks! I've only recently started using molasses and was going to look this up.

Spanish Rice
full

Its a little on the warm side because I added a small jalapeno.

That's my idea of a good meal!

So, on my four days off work, I usually try making a few extra meals and store them in the fridge/freezer for the weekend when I work. Frankly, after being gone for 14 hours a day, I don't feel like coming home and cooking, but we still enjoy having a home-cooked meal on those days. Today I tried a new recipe by Chef John (don't know if anyone here is familiar with him?), it's called American Goulash. After it cools off, I will store it for the weekend.
View attachment 1962846

Your goulash looks great!

I use a snap lock container and put a brown sugar bear into it. The bear and the air tight container keep the brown sugar fresh

upload_2019-11-20_6-18-4.png

Back
Top Bottom