Any Home Bakers Here?

Christmas is only 26 days away.
When I make a brine, I use equal parts salt and honey (about 3 pounds of each), onion, celery, carrot, apple, orange, lemon, lime, parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary and oregano. I hold back some of the ingredients and put them in a soup sock to go into the bird. Once you've got the salt and honey what ever flavors you want to work into the bird goes well.

I want to try something different for cooking my turkey like a brine of some sort. I'm simple so I have to keep it simple, not exotic. I don't like buying ingredients I'll only use once. Done that been there.
This is the brine instructions from a recipe by Emeril lagasse. The turkey goes into the brine from 4 to 24 hours.

Brine:
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges, quartered
2 lemons, quartered
6 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs rosemary

To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a non-reactive container (such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag.) Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.

Note: if you have a big turkey and need more brine than this, use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for every gallon of water.

I am attaching the whole recipe to this post

Attachments

• Brine turkey.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 1
The sad little loaf on the right is what happens when you don't score your boule before baking. :( Lesson learned!

20191129_125703.jpg

Back
Top Bottom