Any Home Bakers Here?

@ronott1 really has me thinking I am going to get a local sourdough starter going again. I do not know what sour salt is though. I do appreciate recipes in my older years now and I am the home baker here in the family. Back in my very early days here on this thread I was sent a starter powder but it never fired up. Regardless, they are very easy to get going with whole wheat spelt(shell and all) and all flours.
I am very interested in how you make a starter with spelt flour. :)

I am very interested in how you make a starter with spelt flour. :)
I obviously misspoke I looked up the definition.

I thought that it meant real whole wheat flour with all of the outer parts and yeasts the wheat picked up along the way. So much of the stuff you buy saying it is whole wheat is white bread flour in my eyes. Sure those extra parts inhibit rising as well as they seem to lance many of the yeast air bubbles so I never use more than a 50/50 mix when baking.

It is easy to get a sourdough started using it and just water but agree any dairy bacteria that produces lactic acid probably speeds things up tremendously.

I obviously misspoke I looked up the definition.

I thought that it meant real whole wheat flour with all of the outer parts and yeasts the wheat picked up along the way. So much of the stuff you buy saying it is whole wheat is white bread flour in my eyes. Sure those extra parts inhibit rising as well as they seem to lance many of the yeast air bubbles so I never use more than a 50/50 mix when baking.

It is easy to get a sourdough started using it and just water but agree any dairy bacteria that produces lactic acid probably speeds things up tremendously.
You have to start a colony of lactobacillus that works with the yeast. The yeast is in the air at your place and will get into the starter from there. Sourdough starter is a combination of the two.

If you buy a start, It will eventually become unique to your place as the yeast in the starter is replaced by the yeast at your place. This is why starter is different in San Francisco compared to New York City

You have to start a colony of lactobacillus that works with the yeast. The yeast is in the air at your place and will get into the starter from there. Sourdough starter is a combination of the two.

If you buy a start, It will eventually become unique to your place as the yeast in the starter is replaced by the yeast at your place. This is why starter is different in San Francisco compared to New York City
yep :thumbsup

Well hmmm....The recipe I used for a sourdough starter said to use whole wheat flour and water and to keep it away from other cultures. I make kefir every day and I had thought about inoculating it with some. Today was the third day and the day the recipe said to feed it so i did and made it a little thinner. I think my first mix was too stiff, no bubbles or other evidence of fermenting. If I don't see any activity in the morning maybe I will throw a little kefir in there.

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great T-day. Personally, we did NOT, as I got sick the Monday before T-day, and just recently started feeling better. Now Hubs is sick... ugh :sick
Well, onwards to Christmas - time to start planning menus, goodies list, etc. I just love the holiday season!
:hugs

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great T-day. Personally, we did NOT, as I got sick the Monday before T-day, and just recently started feeling better. Now Hubs is sick... ugh :sick
Well, onwards to Christmas - time to start planning menus, goodies list, etc. I just love the holiday season!

Sorry about the bug going around. Hopefully, the next holiday everyone is ok and able to enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom