Any Home Bakers Here?

I've never made English muffins before, but they look delicious. I was going through my Christmas cookie/goodie recipes yesterday, and ended up with about 10 different things to make! I will probably cut the list back a bit, cause we really don't need all those extra calories, and I also don't have a whole lot of spare time. I am excited, though, to do some Christmas baking.
Also, this morning I ordered some Harry & Davids Moose Munch to give out as small gifts. I ordered a few boxes each of Dark Chocolate & Milk Chocolate. YUM!

the other day i made dark fruit cake. as the recipe was my great grandmothers. know i really hope it turns out good.

but i never met her or most likely never would. (she passed away when my grandpa was young) but she would have been 100 the year i was born.

but enough sad talk, the recipe is at-least 100 years old where guessing she was from Poland so there is sour cream in it. also straw berry jam.

the other day i made dark fruit cake. as the recipe was my great grandmothers. know i really hope it turns out good.

but i never met her or most likely never would. (she passed away when my grandpa was young) but she would have been 100 the year i was born.

but enough sad talk, the recipe is at-least 100 years old where guessing she was from Poland so there is sour cream in it. also straw berry jam.
Older Recipes for Loved ones....are the best. Please post recipe.

Only difference with my recipe is add 1/4 cup cornmeal
English muffins
1 tsp. salt
1/4 C. warm water
1 C. starter
2 Tbl. yellow cornmeal for dusting
3/4 C. buttermilk
2 2/3 C. flour
1/4 C. cornmeal

Sprinkle yeast over water. Set aside to soften 5 Minutes. Cover a large baking sheet with waxed paper. Sprinkle with 1 Tbl. cornmeal;

set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 C. cornmeal, and salt; Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine starter, buttermilk and yeast mixture. Stir into flour mixture until well blended. Knead 5 to 8 minutes, adding flour if necessary until smooth and elastic. Roll out dough to 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut muffins with a 3" biscuit cutter or drinking glass. Arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover with cloth; let raise 45 minutes. or until doubled. Cook on medium heat in a slightly greased griddle to brown muffins. Turning often, cook raised muffins on medium hot oven 400 about 12 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cold. Makes 12 to 14 muffins.

Last edited:
Milk is only one recipe. Plain water is more common. If you are really having trouble, be sure you’re not using hard or soft water.
that is a good point about the water! Some sources say to use distilled water due to chlorine in some city water

I've never made English muffins before, but they look delicious. I was going through my Christmas cookie/goodie recipes yesterday, and ended up with about 10 different things to make! I will probably cut the list back a bit, cause we really don't need all those extra calories, and I also don't have a whole lot of spare time. I am excited, though, to do some Christmas baking.
Also, this morning I ordered some Harry & Davids Moose Munch to give out as small gifts. I ordered a few boxes each of Dark Chocolate & Milk Chocolate. YUM!

Harry & Davids has some really nice stuff! I'm going to include a small box of their oranges in with my mom's Christmas goody package (she loves their oranges).

oh warm milk! That explains why a little sugar perked it up! I've been using water. Sheesh I'd better find the instructions, maybe they said milk. Well it's been fun having a bowl to look in anyhow :).
You should actually be able to make a starter with just flour and water. But, yes, it will take a long time to become active.

Hey, I may be doing a lot of baking this week. My mother, who makes a lot of the meals at our house had to go to the emergency room for what looks like a gallbladder problem.

I hope it's nothing too serious. Either way, I'm prepared to bake to help.

Hope your mom will be ok. Nice of you to help out while she's laid up Jared.

Hey, I may be doing a lot of baking this week. My mother, who makes a lot of the meals at our house had to go to the emergency room for what looks like a gallbladder problem.

I hope it's nothing too serious. Either way, I'm prepared to bake to help.

Will keep you Mom in the payers

Back
Top Bottom