Any Home Bakers Here?

This recipe used one tsp of salt in the batter that produced one 9" and two 8" pies. That does not include the one tsp of salt in the crust.

I suspect that the one tsp in the pumpkin batter could be left out but leaving it out of the crust might matter.

The muffins on the other hand had 1/2 tsp of salt to make 12 large muffins.
I omit salt or just use a dash in all baking. Aria

I dont have a recipe. I use chili powder, garlic, onion, cilantro, cumin, dehydrated sweet peppers, dehydrated jalapeños and sorano peppers, black pepper, paprika and sage..... just cook to taste. I throw celery and onion in at the last so they still have firmness and texture after steaming. I use stock that I canned to make it juicy then thicken with corn starch to make a thick gravy. This helps keep the tamales moist and delicious. We're not talking drowning the meat.... just enough to make it sag when spooned onto the masa
YES...I use a lot of other spices and Little Salt. Aria

Back to baking... I need to make two loaves of GF bread for stuffing. The local grocery has a special every year, turkey is 39 cents a pound if you spend $50. There weren't a lot of turkeys left, and I ended up with a 20 lb (!) turkey. There are going to be a LOT of leftovers!

I'll be looking for some recipes, that's for sure. Turkey instead of chicken in a white chili, turkey hash... anyone have some family favorites that they make out of leftover turkey?

I make turkey hash.

It is one of my favorites.

This is a recipe that is easily expanded or down sized.

TURKEY HASH
You need the following:
Equal amounts of turkey and potatoes (boil potatoes prior to adding)
Onions chopped to taste
Celery chopped to taste
Turkey broth, plenty to keep moist
Sage to taste (hand rubbed is better)
Salt
Pepper

In a skillet melt butter, add onion and celery to saute until opaque.
Then add potatoes, turkey, and broth.
Cook on low to incorporate the taste.
Add sage, salt, and pepper to taste.
Dish it up and serve with cranberry sauce.

In storing the turkey, I store it chopped and measured by the cupful. Figure out how much you will need per recipe, measure it, vacuum seal it, and then freeze it.

Pumpkin muffins! YUM

My Dad is now on low sodium diet - is it worth making a no-salt pumpkin pie? Will it be edible do you think?

I don't think you can take all the salt away.

You could probably cut the salt in half.

I make turkey hash.

It is one of my favorites.

This is a recipe that is easily expanded or down sized.

TURKEY HASH
You need the following:
Equal amounts of turkey and potatoes (boil potatoes prior to adding)
Onions chopped to taste
Celery chopped to taste
Turkey broth, plenty to keep moist
Sage to taste (hand rubbed is better)
Salt
Pepper

In a skillet melt butter, add onion and celery to saute until opaque.
Then add potatoes, turkey, and broth.
Cook on low to incorporate the taste.
Add sage, salt, and pepper to taste.
Dish it up and serve with cranberry sauce.

In storing the turkey, I store it chopped and measured by the cupful. Figure out how much you will need per recipe, measure it, vacuum seal it, and then freeze it.

I don't think you can take all the salt away.

You could probably cut the salt in half.
I NEVER use salt in Pumpkin Pie Aria

I simmer meat until tender with seasonings and everything. The last minutes on the heat I add celery onion and make the gravy. I use stone cold stuffing assembling my tamales the next day. My preference is to try to keep the onion and celery as firm and crunchy as possible. After steaming they aren't crunchy per say..... but they are firm.

Hot stuffing would work too. I simply make way too many to have that be a feasible option.
Thank you, now I understand! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom