Any Home Bakers Here?

Last week I made my first loaves of sourdough bread with my starter.
The recipe was extremely complex and it was a bad recipe. The bread tasted good, but I'm going for an easier one next time
I have made sourdough bread and seeked out recipes that also used some yeast. Changed the process from a two day ordeal into a 3 hour one. I can look for the recipe in my files if you would like.
During the shortages of recent times,, sourdough came in handy when no yeast available. It is plentiful currently in my area.
Yes,, It is borderline cheating,,,,,,,,,, but I got the sourdough flavor,, with the yeast doing the "heavy lifting":yesss:

Last week I made my first loaves of sourdough bread with my starter.
The recipe was extremely complex and it was a bad recipe. The bread tasted good, but I'm going for an easier one next time
Those complicated recipes are why I keep going back the easy one. Good bread, predicable results, and I don’t need to be a rocket scientist, member of Mensa, or a professional baker.
8pm - Mix up the dough, let it rest covered for 15 minutes
Do 2 sets of stretch-and-folds 15 minutes apart. Turn dough over. Cover the dough and go to bed.
8 am. Do two sets of stretch-and-folds 15 minutes apart. On the last one, fold dough into either a floured banneton or a bowl lined with a floured kitchen towel. (Rice flour is ideal for this because it doesn’t absorb the moisture from the dough.) Refrigerate uncovered for 1 hour while the oven and Dutch Oven preheat to 500 degrees. Turn refrigerated dough onto parchment paper. Drop it, parchment paper and all, into hot Dutch Oven. Bake 25 minutes covered, uncover, reduce heat to 450 and bake 10-15 more minutes. Done.

I've only been baking coconut flour cookies. I plan to bake some egg custard tarts at the weekend though. And no1 son still has the bread mix to make that I bought nearly a month ago now.
Have made semolina pudding too, but theres not much baking in that really...

You can proof your yeast dough in the refrigerator
If you have enough room in the refrigerator for a bowl that size ;)

(Rice flour is ideal for this because it doesn’t absorb the moisture from the dough.)
Curious since one of the methods of removing moisture from things is to put them in rice.
How do both of these things make sense? I'm SO confused!

If you have enough room in the refrigerator for a bowl that size ;)

Curious since one of the methods of removing moisture from things is to put them in rice.
How do both of these things make sense? I'm SO confused!
I dunno….don’t ask me hard questions….I’m just a girl. ;)

Actually I oversimplified and in the process didn’t explain well. Rice flour won’t react with the wet dough to form gluten, which is what makes the dough stick to the banneton or bowl, like wheat flours can.

I have made sourdough bread and seeked out recipes that also used some yeast. Changed the process from a two day ordeal into a 3 hour one. I can look for the recipe in my files if you would like.
During the shortages of recent times,, sourdough came in handy when no yeast available. It is plentiful currently in my area.
Yes,, It is borderline cheating,,,,,,,,,, but I got the sourdough flavor,, with the yeast doing the "heavy lifting":yesss:
That’s why I love pain de campagne, it uses a bit of both but I never have to worry about getting the lift I need during the bulk ferment & in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom