Any Home Bakers Here?

Though my dehydrator doesn't go as hot as hers, I basically do mine this way. I know I'll be freezing the dried eggs, and cooking them again in a very hot environment, so salmonella is not a concern for me-
https://www.backwoodshome.com/dehydrating-eggs-at-home/

This person goes over different ways to freeze them. I didn't read all of her pages but she goes over water glassing and other things pertaining to preserving eggs-
https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/10/how-to-freeze-eggs.html
I just love Jill Winger! She lives down south of us, between Chugwater and Cheyenne. We can see her place from the highway when we drive down that way, especially when she gets her hail deflectors over her garden!

Brownies :)
IMG_20220503_005450.jpg

I'm going to make some bone broth in the Instant Pot tomorrow. I need some cream of chicken soup for a recipe, but all the commercial stuff is thickened with wheat flour. I make my own with bone broth, and thicken it with cornstarch.

And then I'll have lot of bone broth to put into jars in the freezer, and more space in the freezer because those bags of bones and veg scraps will be gone or greatly reduced. Win-win-win.

I think I might buy a can of rhubarb pie filling. I've never had rhubarb, have no idea what it tastes like. I could try it and if it's good, I'll think about growing some.

I asked DH if he liked rhubarb, and he said, "Only in small doses. It's too sweet." :gig

I told him, no, it's very sour, so you had some that had too much sugar added.

I'm going to make some bone broth in the Instant Pot tomorrow. I need some cream of chicken soup for a recipe, but all the commercial stuff is thickened with wheat flour. I make my own with bone broth, and thicken it with cornstarch.

And then I'll have lot of bone broth to put into jars in the freezer, and more space in the freezer because those bags of bones and veg scraps will be gone or greatly reduced. Win-win-win.
Somewhere I have a recipe for tomato soup that calls for cooking a spoon full of rice in it, then zapping with a hand blender to thicken like canned tomato soup. I wonder if that would also work with bone broth?
The tomato soup almost took me back to childhood memories of it along with grilled cheese samiches.

I do miss Campbell's tomato soup! And the cream of soups. Not as much for straight eating but using in recipes. I need to learn to make the equivalents one of these days to add to my broths. How much cornstarch do you use?

Last edited:
I do miss Campbell's tomato soup! And the cream of soups. Not as much for straight easting but using in recipes. I need to learn to make the equivalents one of these days to add so my broths. How much cornstarch do you use?
:confused: Not sure. I take however much broth I need for the recipe and add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch and see how thick it is. Then add some more, usually. I make it about as thick as gravy, knowing it'll thicken as it cools. I try to make it the day before I need it, otherwise I'll get into the recipe and realize I haven't made the soup ingredient yet, and get off track.

In other words, I get to the step of adding the "can of cream of chicken soup," and say "Oh crap, I didn't make that yet!" Only I won't say crap.

I think I might buy a can of rhubarb pie filling. I've never had rhubarb, have no idea what it tastes like. I could try it and if it's good, I'll think about growing some.

I asked DH if he liked rhubarb, and he said, "Only in small doses. It's too sweet." :gig

Rhubarb isn't sour. It is tart. There is a difference.

Mine is growing like crazy right now! I’d you were closer I’d give you some to try.

Back
Top Bottom