Any Home Bakers Here?

Next time I’m raiding your pantry for a midnight snack, I’m adding strawberries to any rhubarb pies. By the time you discover it, I’ll be in WA rummaging through someone else’s kitchen.
I have nothing to fear in this aspect. First, you will never make it here because you will never leave your home. If you should somehow miraculously make it here, you better have a female beagle puppy with you.

Rhubarb pies do not get to sit around waiting for someone to tamper with them here. They are only ever made fresh with just picked rhubarb.

I do not have a pantry either.

Oh dang @R2elk you're an expert baker too? I suppose I should have figured you could cook a mean meal as beautiful as your garden was.

Sorry to interrupt the rhubarb/strawberry talk, but what variety of pumpkin did you say was sweetest again? Mammoth I think it was? My nieces/nephews have been on me to start a pumpkin patch this summer after telling them how successful yours are.

Oh dang @R2elk you're an expert baker too? I suppose I should have figured you could cook a mean meal as beautiful as your garden was.

Sorry to interrupt the rhubarb/strawberry talk, but what variety of pumpkin did you say was sweetest again? Mammoth I think it was? My nieces/nephews have been on me to start a pumpkin patch this summer after telling them how successful yours are.
Big Moose

If you can't get seeds this late, stop by and I will give you seeds I saved from one of last year's Big Moose.

Somewhere I have a recipe for tomato soup that calls for cooking a spoon full of rice in it, then zapping with a hand blender to thicken like canned tomato soup. I wonder if that would also work with bone broth?
The tomato soup almost took me back to childhood memories of it along with grilled cheese samiches.

I do miss Campbell's tomato soup! And the cream of soups. Not as much for straight eating but using in recipes. I need to learn to make the equivalents one of these days to add to my broths. How much cornstarch do you use?

I make my own cream soup.

Here is the recipe:

MARYS CREAM SOUP SUBSTITUTE
Yields: Equivalent of 10 cans of soup

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

2 cups nonfat dried milk
1/4 cup chicken or beef Bouillon
1 tsp. basil
3/4 cup cornstarch
@ Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper

Mix ingredients together and store in a covered container. Use as a substitute for creamed soups in casserole recipes.

HOW TO USE MIXTURE

1 1/4 cups cold water
1/3 cup soup mix
1 tsp. butter

Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook until thickened and substitute for one (15 oz.) can of soup.
Nutrition per 1/2 cup of mix:
To reduce sodium use low-sodium bouillon.

For exchange diets, count as 1 bread or starch

Last edited:
We eat rhubarb when we can get our hands on some. I have some growing in the garden,, but not much.
I would definitely have mine sweet.
I was very surprised when I seen peeps eating watermelon with salt sprinkled on top. I just eat watermelon as is.
Blooie,,,,,, how do you have watermelon?

I don't put salt on any of my fruits, but I do like the flavor combination of salty sweet, like salted caramels. Or salty peanuts with sweet raisins, so I can see why some might do that. I don't quite get why people would put salt on something sour or tart to begin with.

I don't because strawberries for the most part are sour unless you have fully ripe home grown ones. The recipes say to not add as much sugar if you put strawberries in the rhubarb pie resulting in a sourer pie rather than the sweet tartness that you get in a good rhubarb pie. All of the people that have tasted my rhubarb pies made with beautiful red stalks of rhubarb have preferred it to pies contaminated with strawberries.

@BullChick has never tried my rhubarb pie and is not qualified to know what it tastes like.
Hmmm... I think strawberry lovers might be offended here.

I did happen to see in my research green stalked varieties (cultivars, not under-ripe red stalked ones) are supposed to taste just as good as red stalked varieties.

Last edited:
I did happen to see in my research green stalked varieties (cultivars, not under-ripe red stalked ones) are supposed to taste just as good as red stalked varieties.
You can find all kinds of information on the Internet that is not true.

I have had and still have both green and red varieties. They all have differences in their tastes. Some prefer the green over the red. To say that they are just as good is not necessarily true as they do taste different. You cannot get the same flavor from the green varieties as you can from the red varieties.

Last edited:
Not nearly as large, but if you are looking for good eating pumpkins the gourmet types can''t be beat!
I've grown Jarrahdales (my favs) Cinderella, Musquee De Provence, and several others with great results! They can get up to 20 pounds and their flesh can rival that of a good sweet potato. Tasty to eat like squash and great for pies and all kinds of cooking.

Somewhere I have a recipe for tomato soup that calls for cooking a spoon full of rice in it, then zapping with a hand blender to thicken like canned tomato soup. I wonder if that would also work with bone broth?
The tomato soup almost took me back to childhood memories of it along with grilled cheese samiches.

I do miss Campbell's tomato soup! And the cream of soups. Not as much for straight eating but using in recipes. I need to learn to make the equivalents one of these days to add to my broths. How much cornstarch do you use?

I make my own Cream Soup Substitute

Here is the recipe

Yields: Equivalent of 10 cans of food

2 cups nonfat dried milk
1/4 cup chicken or beef bouillon
1 tsp. basil
3/4 cup cornstarch

2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. pepper

Mix ingredients together and store in a covered container. Use as a substitute for creamed soups in casserole recipes.

HOW TO USE 1 1/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup soup mix
1 tsp. butter

Mix the ingredients together in a small saucepan. Cook until thickened.

This is the substitute for (15 oz.) can of cream soup

NUTRITION per 1/2 cup of mix

Calories 94; Cholesterol 3 mg.; Fat (less than) 1 G; sodium 112mg.; to reduce sodium use low-sodium bouillon.

For exchange diets , count as 1 bread or starch.

Last edited:
I make my own Cream Soup Substitute

Here is the recipe

Yields: Equivalent of 10 cans of food

2 cups nonfat dried milk
1/4 cup chicken or beef bouillon
1 tsp. basil
3/4 cup cornstarch

2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. pepper

HOW TO USE 1 1/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup soup mix
1 tsp. butter

Mix the ingredients together in a small saucepan. Cook until thickened.

This is the substitute for (15 oz.) can of cream soup

NUTRITION per 1/2 cup of mix

Calories 94; Cholesterol 3 mg.; Fat (less than) 1 G; sodium 112mg.; to reduce sodium use low-sodium bouillon.

For exchange diets , count as 1 bread or starch.

Thank you! That's super helpful to know the ingredients you use so I can formulate something.

Back
Top Bottom