Any Home Bakers Here?

I have a question for everyone here. Do you prefer a gas stove or an electric? What is your experience (good or bad) with either?

Our electric stove has had its final repair. We replaced the burners for the last time. When those go, we'll have to replace the stove. It's original to the house, so it's 42+ years old and doesn't owe us anything.

We have propane here for heat. I don't know if it's cheaper to cook/bake with propane than electricity. I've used gas stoves a few times in my life, but most of my cooking has been with electric stoves and ovens.
Gas stove & electric oven for me. Stove is what really matters when power gets knocked out in a hurricane, so gas is a must.

While I was looking up gas ranges, I saw that they now have ones that are gas for the burners, and electric for the oven. Oh, let's confuse Sally juuuust a little bit more with even more options... :)

I'm really hoping this stove lasts another few years, tbh. After 28 years, we're used to each other. But when we replace it, I will want a couple things to be different. Starting with it being LEVEL! :gig
I've heard that gas cooktop is best, and electric oven is best (more even temperatures). Mine is both, and I prefer the gas cooktop over electric, especially those glass ones that I was always terrified of shattering. And if you forget to turn the oven off, you aren't wasting expensive gas.

I have a question for everyone here. Do you prefer a gas stove or an electric? What is your experience (good or bad) with either?

Our electric stove has had its final repair. We replaced the burners for the last time. When those go, we'll have to replace the stove. It's original to the house, so it's 42+ years old and doesn't owe us anything.

We have propane here for heat. I don't know if it's cheaper to cook/bake with propane than electricity. I've used gas stoves a few times in my life, but most of my cooking has been with electric stoves and ovens.
I like gas but may not be able to replace with gas here in the near future.

It might be a good idea to see what you get with the new bill being signed this week. There are rebates for electric appliances in the bill-- even a rebate to upgrade your electric panel.

I need to figure out all of it since It is past time for me to replace my central heating and air.

I have had both types of stoves and I prefer the gas stove.

When I'm ready to cook turn it on ready immediately I don't have to wait for the burner to get hot on the electric stove.

Our old stove was gas - gas cooktop and gas oven. But the oven had an electric assist, which was really nice. The gas oven pre-heated fast and the assist helped keep the oven at temp more evenly. I got a new one when the oven started smoking really bad from the oven vent one day - no smoke in the oven area and the area where the oven vented out was really hot! I assume a fire in the vent area. No more making bacon in the oven for me, lol.
My new stove is gas cooktop and electric oven. There is no bottom element in the oven and the fan blows whenever it is turned on to keep the temp somewhat even through-out the oven - it works OK, but not great. Had to experiment quite a bit to figure out how to bake a frozen pizza and get a crispy crust without burning the cheese on top. Follow the chart that they include in the owner's manual if you get this kind of oven. It is a LG brand.
I highly recommend gas cooktop.

I've had both. I prefer Gas cooktop and electric convection oven. The oven is slower to reach temp, but cooks very evenly. Level is a must. Also they have to change out the orifices for propane. I had to have both the stove delivery team and the gas guy to get mine installed.

We have propane here for heat. I don't know if it's cheaper to cook/bake with propane than electricity. I've used gas stoves a few times in my life, but most of my cooking has been with electric stoves and ovens.I
I have a propane cooktop and an electric oven. I love them both but I think “they” are trying to move us all away from things that use a flame. Ron mentioned something about rebates. When my cooktop gives out I’ll replace it with electric.
In my area propane tends to be expensive. We only have small 50# tanks so we have to disconnect and bring them in to be filled. Another chore aging people aren’t going to want to do forever.

Back
Top Bottom