Any Home Bakers Here?

Hello,

I've baked all of our breads for years, now. I mostly bake large loaves we then freeze, n pop in the toaster oven, as needed. As I only use organic ingredients, that rules out most premixed offerings n fancier breads. Perhaps I could share a few tricks, though.

For the past year I've been learning how to bake yeast breads here at home. It's been challenging and rewarding (when it all comes together right, lol).

Today for the 1st time I made up a Boule recipe and ran into a snag. Is there anyone here that's familiar with yeast breads? Since I'm here several times a day reading about chickens, it would be great to chat with others that also bake.
===================================================
Updated 07-18-21: To find all the great recipes posted in this thread, click on one of the links below to go to a Google spreadsheet (then use the links in the spreadsheet to locate each recipe):

Baker Thread Index

Bread, Rolls, Pizza bases, starters

Cookies and Bars

Dinners and Vegetables

Desserts

Snacks, Sweets

Misc and Everything Else

Hints, Tips and How-to's
e

Hello,

I've baked all of our breads for years, now. I mostly bake large loaves we then freeze, n pop in the toaster oven, as needed. As I only use organic ingredients, that rules out most premixed offerings n fancier breads. Perhaps I could share a few tricks, though.
Please do!

Question: what fancier breads can you not make with organic ingredients? Maybe there are some you just can't find?

Yes it is nasty. The only way I know of to get rid of it is to dig the entire root out. I once got down a foot and the root broke. Figured that was good enough and filled the hole in. New knotweed shoot showed up 2 days later.
We had bamboo at our Cottage. How did we get rid of it? WE HAD N0 CHOICE
I HAD TO SELL THE COTTAGE. Sad but true.

Frog legs are an option in one of our local chinese buffets. I almost always eat some, because I hardly have the heart to kill them myself.

I understand that. I don’t think I have the heart to kill a frog, even though I am a hunter.

I actually got a video of what the call sounds like. I took it myself. I’ll see if I can get it uploaded later.

I've never had frog legs. I'm curious as to what they taste like?

@Grumpy Gnome, welcome to one of the friendliest threads here on BYC! We talk about anything to do with baking, and generalize a bit to include anything to do with cooking. Another topic is fermenting, especially sourdough.

We chat about... stuff... too. Whatever.

One page one is an index to all the recipes posted here. It's huge!

Please do!

Question: what fancier breads can you not make with organic ingredients? Maybe there are some you just can't find?
We eat A LOT of bread at our house. So, I tend to make hearty loaves w/various ingredients. I like to think I've gotten pretty good at it.

Sometimes though, I would like to make some plain ole pancakes, or foccacia(sp?). Maybe some banana nut breads would be nice. None of my flour sources have any organic mixes for such things. It'd be nice to bake something else every now n then.

Back
Top Bottom