Any Home Bakers Here?

So, this recipe is already in the index, but I decided to make something through 3-D printing that involves baking.

I decided I want to compile a book of family recipes to leave for future generations, and make the book last a very long time. What better way to do that then to make it out of plastic?

So, I decided to do this with my 3-D printer.

IMG_0991.jpeg

Thumbs up, if you know what my inspiration is for this recipe book.

Here's something else that might be useful to wood splitters. Hubby had been splitting wood quite a while when a friend gave him this tip.

Hubby would split big logs (16-20" or even larger) by splitting them in half. Makes sense (to me), but it's hard work on oak. A friend told him to split off a chunk, say 4" in, first. Then you've taken the main core of strength out of the log, and the rest is easier to split. He does that now, even when he's using the wood splitter.

He cut some sassafras logs from a downed tree. He brought in a couple of pieces, thinking we'd enjoy the smell. Not much smell, unfortunately. They're rounds about 4" thick, and they were solid when he brought them in. Now there are a dozen hairline cracks in them. They are drying out fast in the living room!
We used to cut down cottonwood trees to burn in my Parents wood stove.

That is a very stinky wood to burn!

So, this recipe is already in the index, but I decided to make something through 3-D printing that involves baking.

I decided I want to compile a book of family recipes to leave for future generations, and make the book last a very long time. What better way to do that then to make it out of plastic?

View attachment 3672469

Maybe it's the picture but it looks hard to read to me.

Maybe it's the picture but it looks hard to read to me.
My guess is it's easier to read if you move it around for the right reflection from the sun.

Otherwise, lay a blank piece of paper over the top and use a dark crayon or construction pencil to rub across it. ☺️

View attachment 3672469

It's beautiful and a way to memorialize favorite recipes!

I live in the PNW and firewood has always been a part of life. We do have several hardwoods, maple, alder, madrona are the major players there. Alder is fast to season burns fast but is easy to handle and makes wonderful smoked salmon. Madrona is very hard, very heavy and is a super star in the wood stove.
Fir and Hemlock are the major soft woods that we use, we prefer Douglas fir because it seasons nicely and leaves very very little ash.
We use a lot of maple, it burns clean, heats well but leaves tons of ashes. Madrona is the hardest to find, when you do it’s expensive.
Proper seasoning is the most important thing. It needs to be stacked under cover but needs to have airflow.
Cedar we use for kindling. It snaps and crackles so that part is fun also when you first cut it and bring it inside to the woodbox it smells fabulous!

View attachment 3672469

:thumbsup I think I know. You did say you are a Mormon! That’s very clever!

A few years ago we invested in a wood splitter from Home Depot. You could rent one for a few hours too at your local hardware rental place. I know True Value here does. Get the kind that has vertical option so you just roll those logs underneath it flat side up, then bring the wedge down on it and voila!
Debbie, that is some FANTASTIC WOOD. WOW....lots of great from those pieces.

the wedges have been laying here for 5 years ( pic is of them fresh) but they haven’t shown me any cracks yet ..
5 years and no cracking yet. wow
Do they have places near you in Germany where you can rent a splitter for a day? The vertical splitting type like was mentioned?

A friend told him to split off a chunk, say 4" in, first. Then you've taken the main core of strength out of the log, and the rest is easier to split. He does that now, even when he's using the wood splitter.
Yes and with some woods like elm it is the only way. Elm is really fibrous and twisty, nearly impossible to split in half either by hand or any powered splitter. On the other hand, ash is so straight grained that it almost falls apart with minimal effort.

:thumbsup I think I know. You did say you are a Mormon! That’s very clever!

You are correct. However, a minor correction is necessary.

I am not trying to be preachy, and I am not mad, but “Mormon” is not the correct name of the church. Sure, it’s called The Book of Mormon because Mormon put it together from several records, but it’s not Mormons church.

You all can call me a Mormon if you want, but the proper name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Back
Top Bottom