Any Home Bakers Here?

I love upside down cake. I adapted a recipe for pineapple upside down cake to fit my tastes, and it's delicious (the recipe was previously posted here).

I also created a recipe for a pear one. I added spices to the cake and just used milk instead of pineapple juice in my other recipe.

I've also had blueberry upside down cake made by a friend who owns a blueberry farm; one of the best cakes I've ever eaten!

I have a very old family recipe for upside down cake. It uses evaporated milk so is likely a WW II Recipe. I think adding spices to the pear upside down cake sounds good!

Huh. Your birthday is right before mine!
Me and Elvis were born on the 8th. I have a nephew that was born on the 9th.
I love pear upside down cakes! I do make them and pineapple or peach ones occasionally. Happy birthday to you!
Thanks! I will be one more year closer to retirement!

Last edited:
Thanks! I will be one more year closer to retirement!
How many years to go?

I try to never wish time away, but oh, man, it is wonderful NOT to work at a soul-sucking job anymore! I started counting down the months at about three years. I couldn't WAIT for the first of the month, when I'd turn another number lower.

How many years to go?

I try to never wish time away, but oh, man, it is wonderful NOT to work at a soul-sucking job anymore! I started counting down the months at about three years. I couldn't WAIT for the first of the month, when I'd turn another number lower.
I turn 65 next year so will retire between then and when I turn 66. I want to wait until I have been working for UC Davis for 30 years. The Pension stops going up as much then.

I quit working 12 years before I started taking social security.

That is a nice stretch of time!

Congratulations!

3 months, and I start getting Social Security. Now that will make me feel old and really retired. :gig
My DW is old enough for social security but does not have enough quarters to qualify.

My wife is over 71 and just started her SS in December , but she will not quit working her retirement job as a computer lab elementary school teacher. I was forced by illness to retire at 65 but recovered and went back to work part time for about 5 years. I had planned on retiring from my last full time job at 72 like my dad. Oh well, we must roll with the punches and adapt to reality! I still am pretty busy here on the mini farm. Being able to decide to stay in bed a couple extra hours without bad consequences is appreciated so much! Some days, it would be impossible for me to go to work these days all day long. At least now days I can work some, most days, for myself! God has been good to me so now I try to be good for God. Time is the most precious gift one can give of themselves worth more than the Gold of wages. Give a little time to someone who is in need. It is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom