Anyone Linux users out there?

I can imagine. I still have a good amount of XP computers.
Once we got a Windows 8 computer from someone. My Dad set it up and said, "This is going to be fun" after taking a glance at all the bloatware on the Start Menu. We upgraded it to Windows 10 and you can hardly use it now.
Have you ever tried LineageOS?
No. I need my phone for far too much and I'm happy in the existing ecosystem there. I don't have the patience to fiddle with rooting it.

No. I need my phone for far too much and I'm happy in the existing ecosystem there. I don't have the patience to fiddle with rooting it.
What phone do you have? I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 running Android 10 using the stock OS. I have installed LineageOS on a few other devices that are compatible but my phone is not compatible. Yesterday I shorted some points on the back of a Fire HD 8 2017 to install LineageOS on it. It was quite fun :rolleyes:. My Dad also has a couple PinePhones. They are pretty close to being usable, even with Android apps.
I do not like Android because there is no iMessage on Android, forcing me to keep a iPhone 5s around for messaging friends easily.

What phone do you have? I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 running Android 10 using the stock OS. I have installed LineageOS on a few other devices that are compatible but my phone is not compatible. Yesterday I shorted some points on the back of a Fire HD 8 2017 to install LineageOS on it. It was quite fun :rolleyes:. My Dad also has a couple PinePhones. They are pretty close to being usable, even with Android apps.
I do not like Android because there is no iMessage on Android, forcing me to keep a iPhone 5s around for messaging friends easily.
Note 20 ultra.

There are a number of apps such as sunbird and wemessage that support imessage since apple is too lazy to adopt modern sms standards for it. You could give google messages a try too, works on andorid and iOS

Note 20 ultra.

There are a number of apps such as sunbird and wemessage that support imessage since apple is too lazy to adopt modern sms standards for it. You could give google messages a try too, works on andorid and iOS
I'm going to guess you use the S Pen? I like that feature of my phone.

I'll have to see if any of those work with my phone. Yeah, Apple is lazy. Took them forever to add widgets.

I'm going to guess you use the S Pen? I like that feature of my phone.

I'll have to see if any of those work with my phone. Yeah, Apple is lazy. Took them forever to add widgets.
Not as much as I do with a larger tablet (for sketching) I barely use it on my phone, but wanted to try it out when I got it. Next time I will skip it.

Not as much as I do with a larger tablet (for sketching) I barely use it on my phone, but wanted to try it out when I got it. Next time I will skip it.
I use it for drawing chickens. However, I feel like it is a toothpick sometimes. A fancy toothpick.
If you get another Ultra, it will have the S Pen in it.
One issue I have with Android phones is that they have a limited amount of software updates. My Note 9 no longer receives updates. There were no updates for it last year, and my iPhone 5s got a update last year. This is one point where Apple beats Android. Apple devices last long only because of the amount of updates they get. Most Android phones remind me of Leghorns. Lay the phone, sit on it and update it for a bit, and run off, leaving the user to get a new phone. Apple must be broody.

I'm putting Linux on some old laptops to be auctioned off. Kububtu for 64 bit, Debian for 32 bit. Check out this thing! Somewhat clumsy pics because I have another laptop under my arm.
IMG_20230518_102232.png IMG_20230518_102225.png

I use it for drawing chickens. However, I feel like it is a toothpick sometimes. A fancy toothpick.
If you get another Ultra, it will have the S Pen in it.
One issue I have with Android phones is that they have a limited amount of software updates. My Note 9 no longer receives updates. There were no updates for it last year, and my iPhone 5s got a update last year. This is one point where Apple beats Android. Apple devices last long only because of the amount of updates they get. Most Android phones remind me of Leghorns. Lay the phone, sit on it and update it for a bit, and run off, leaving the user to get a new phone. Apple must be broody.
Yeah I'm a little annoyed with my OS on my android. My phone is barely 4 years old and it won't be receiving updates because the new hardware is "more secure". Very annoying.

I struggle with apple though because they're quite the opposite with their macs. Lots of Mac hardware can be updated all the way up to Ventura, but can only do so with a third party patcher.

I'm putting Linux on some old laptops to be auctioned off. Kububtu for 64 bit, Debian for 32 bit. Check out this thing! Somewhat clumsy pics because I have another laptop under my arm.
View attachment 3509809View attachment 3509810
Where are you going to auction the laptops?
What are the ones underneath?
Kubuntu is a good system. I like KDE a lot.
Debian is also fine by me. It is just more rustic than Kubuntu.

Yeah I'm a little annoyed with my OS on my android. My phone is barely 4 years old and it won't be receiving updates because the new hardware is "more secure". Very annoying.

I struggle with apple though because they're quite the opposite with their macs. Lots of Mac hardware can be updated all the way up to Ventura, but can only do so with a third party patcher.
What kind of phone is yours? More secure new hardware should not be a reason for a company to ditch users of a old phone. LineageOS might be an option to consider for updating your phone.

Apple is good about updating old iPhones and the such. If you can use the third party patcher to update your Mac do it but only if the Mac can handle Ventura properly. Installing Linux on the Mac would be another option.

Back
Top Bottom