April chicks from Cackle.

Folly's place

Addict
12 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
This is a sad story, that I didn't want to post, but here it is anyway.
I've had many chicks shipped here, from several hatcheries over the years, with good results. my worst previous experience was 10% deaths over about ten days from a different hatchery several years ago.
This is my third order from Cackle, and have been very happy with the other two shipments. Extra chicks, heat packs in April, and only one 'poor doer' who died.
Last week, a totally different story! They shipped 35 chicks Wednesday, during a stormy week, with no heat packs. The chicks arrived Friday morning, 6am at the post office, doing that 'distress chirping'. Home and in the brooder by 7am, watered, all as usual for many other shipments. One chick looked bad.
Saturday morning, five dead! I called Cackle's 'help line' was told that maybe shipping stress, but more likely coccidiosis! This in not possible, given the time frame! Do their hatchers have overwhelming contamination with coccidia? I really doubt it!
Then I should add that 1/3 cup of vinegar to each qt. of drinking water, to 'cure' the coccidiosis.
Sorry, bad information!!!
By Monday, a total of eight dead chicks out of 35. Terrible! The survivors are doing fine, but this has not gone well.
When I called Monday, I was promised a refund for seven dead chicks, and a call about this 'coccidiosis story'. So far, nothing.
The chick deaths were bad, but the mis-information is worse.
Mary

I am a bit surprised that the staff pointed to coccidiosis as the issue.
That is definitely bad.

What the heck with that amount of ACV!!!???

That is WAY more than I have ever seen recommended.
:eek:

Last edited:
No kidding! And to treat coccidiosis? Which isn't the problem anyway? And the chicks would actually drink it? Funny, but really sad.
Mary

Worse still is if first time chicken keepers are being told that they will take it as absolute fact....BECAUSE it came from the hatchery.

I am thinking if one was to force it into chicks at that strength it could do serious harm. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom