australorp vs. rhode island red

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
which one is better for egg poduction?
D.gif

I have both and find that the Austrolorps are the better egg layers. They seem to be over all more hardy dont malt as much every two years maybe they go off lay for a few weeks, where as the rhrode island reds go off lay once a year

which one is better for egg poduction?
D.gif

1 australorp hen has the world record at laying eggs per year. which is not much to go about, but its something, if you want the best brown egger just get an ISA brown or red sex links(same thing, different name) this production type birds are in a leage of their own in producing large brown eggs

That depends on what you feel is "the best" when it comes to egg laying. All the production sex links I've had were not hardy nor did they lay eggs into a second year. I have Austrolorps who are laying every day(in peak seasons) or every other day(in off peak seasons) and they are 7 years old.

I also have a flock of New Hamps and White Rocks that are in their 6 year of laying and with the same good production levels....the best, IMO, are the chickens who not only lay every day but those that keep doing it for more than 2 years.

I think the best egg prdocer *other than the two metioned above) is a Plymouth Rock (Barred Rock) its 65$ australian dollars for a pullet a bit expencive but you sure get all your money back from the amazing eggs. I have just put an order in for some baby chicks (12$) each :/

did you get your chicks froma breeder or a hatchery?

That depends on what you feel is "the best" when it comes to egg laying. All the production sex links I've had were not hardy nor did they lay eggs into a second year. I have Austrolorps who are laying every day(in peak seasons) or every other day(in off peak seasons) and they are 7 years old.

I also have a flock of New Hamps and White Rocks that are in their 6 year of laying and with the same good production levels....the best, IMO, are the chickens who not only lay every day but those that keep doing it for more than 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom