Automatic Chicken Doors

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
I am looking to purchase an automatic coop door. I have the Ador 1 but it has stopped working. I don't want to replace the parts to fix it, I just want to go ahead and purchase a different door. I have come across a few doors that I really like. I am really leaning towards purchasing the omlet one but I want everyone's extremely honest opinion. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Thanks in advance. Happy chicken keeping!

The first one is the Run chicken T50. Pros: works in my cold temperatures, it's easy to set up, looks great, the opening is large, battery operated. Cons: No sensor to see if chickens are in the doorway, it's the same design as the one I have already that has stopped working, 200 hundred dollars. https://www.amazon.com/Run-Chicken-...qid=1651020886&sprefix=run+t50,aps,145&sr=8-3

The JVR automatic chicken coop door kit. Pros: Has a sensor to prevent chickens from being caught under the door, has a timer and solar sensing technology, large opening, plugs in, 150 dollars. Cons: doesn't operate in weather below 15 degrees Fahrenheit, doesn't look the best. https://www.amazon.com/JVR-Automati...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The omlet automatic chicken door. Pros: Easy setup, works in extreme weather, I have heard good things about it, awesome control panel, looks great, has a safety senor like elevator doors, battery-operated, Cons: small opening, 190 dollars. https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/automatic_chicken_coop_door_opener/

I don't have experience with the ones you mentioned, but I have been very pleased with our KEBONNIXS Automatic Door from Amazon. It was around $100. We purchased in fall 2021 and since then, have only changed the batteries once. It's been extremely reliable thus far. We have temps that sometimes drop below zero here in MA and it still works like a champ. Very rarely, the sky will be too dark and cloudy in the AM to trigger the light sensor to open, so we had to open manually. I can't fault the door though; it was extremely dark that day. I love that it can run based on light and/or time. Also, ours is covered by a metal roof and still, the light sensor works very well. So no need for it to be in full sun all the time.

P.S. There was one time when our 4 month old pullet (who's pretty odd) decided to roost in the doorway so the door did shut on her gently. It doesn't have a bird sensor. It is very light and moves slowly though, so no harm was done. Had we not gone out to move her, I think she'd have slept like that all night. She seemed comfy. 😆

I don't have experience with the ones you mentioned, but I have been very pleased with our KEBONNIXS Automatic Door from Amazon. It was around $100. We purchased in fall 2021 and since then, have only changed the batteries once. It's been extremely reliable thus far. We have temps that sometimes drop below zero here in MA and it still works like a champ. Very rarely, the sky will be too dark and cloudy in the AM to trigger the light sensor to open, so we had to open manually. I can't fault the door though; it was extremely dark that day. I love that it can run based on light and/or time. Also, ours is covered by a metal roof and still, the light sensor works very well. So no need for it to be in full sun all the time.

P.S. There was one time when our 4 month old pullet (who's pretty odd) decided to roost in the doorway so the door did shut on her gently. It doesn't have a bird sensor. It is very light and moves slowly though, so no harm was done. Had we not gone out to move her, I think she'd have slept like that all night. She seemed comfy. 😆
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback!

I am looking to purchase an automatic coop door. I have the Ador 1 but it has stopped working. I don't want to replace the parts to fix it, I just want to go ahead and purchase a different door. I have come across a few doors that I really like. I am really leaning towards purchasing the omlet one but I want everyone's extremely honest opinion. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Thanks in advance. Happy chicken keeping!

The first one is the Run chicken T50. Pros: works in my cold temperatures, it's easy to set up, looks great, the opening is large, battery operated. Cons: No sensor to see if chickens are in the doorway, it's the same design as the one I have already that has stopped working, 200 hundred dollars. https://www.amazon.com/Run-Chicken-Automatic-Chicken-Aluminum-Sensing/dp/B07XHG472H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3Q9XK64WKN3PP&keywords=run+t50&qid=1651020886&sprefix=run+t50,aps,145&sr=8-3

The JVR automatic chicken coop door kit. Pros: Has a sensor to prevent chickens from being caught under the door, has a timer and solar sensing technology, large opening, plugs in, 150 dollars. Cons: doesn't operate in weather below 15 degrees Fahrenheit, doesn't look the best. https://www.amazon.com/JVR-Automatic-Waterproof-Controller-Actuator/dp/B07HRT5WD2/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?crid=2OERLI92LPBFH&keywords=jvr+coop+door&qid=1651058669&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=jvr+coop+door,pets,77&sr=1-15-spons&psc=1&smid=AZJZIJQ37LZ1T&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExT1cxTktSUkxHRVEwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTU1NzgxMk5JWkRBQjVZVU1LQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ1MzkwMUpFR1VPOFFES1BGWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The omlet automatic chicken door. Pros: Easy setup, works in extreme weather, I have heard good things about it, awesome control panel, looks great, has a safety senor like elevator doors, battery-operated, Cons: small opening, 190 dollars. https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/automatic_chicken_coop_door_opener/
I have the Run Chicken T50 - it does not have a large opening, it's 10" x 8" (when I bought it I was looking at the BOX dimensions, the box it ships in....so I thought it was larger) - but I think it's still ok in that regard. It DOES sense a chicken in the doorway and will not close on them (see https://run-chicken.com/about-model-t50). I like it so far, opens and closes very reliably.

Oh that’s excellent to know! I am still researching the automatic doors. Also in cold MA ….

The first one is the Run chicken T50. Pros: works in my cold temperatures, it's easy to set up, looks great, the opening is large, battery operated. Cons: No sensor to see if chickens are in the doorway, it's the same design as the one I have already that has stopped working, 200 hundred dollars. https://www.amazon.com/Run-Chicken-Automatic-Chicken-Aluminum-Sensing/dp/B07XHG472H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3Q9XK64WKN3PP&keywords=run+t50&qid=1651020886&sprefix=run+t50,aps,145&sr=8-3

The JVR automatic chicken coop door kit. Pros: Has a sensor to prevent chickens from being caught under the door, has a timer and solar sensing technology, large opening, plugs in, 150 dollars. Cons: doesn't operate in weather below 15 degrees Fahrenheit, doesn't look the best. https://www.amazon.com/JVR-Automatic-Waterproof-Controller-Actuator/dp/B07HRT5WD2/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?crid=2OERLI92LPBFH&keywords=jvr+coop+door&qid=1651058669&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=jvr+coop+door,pets,77&sr=1-15-spons&psc=1&smid=AZJZIJQ37LZ1T&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExT1cxTktSUkxHRVEwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTU1NzgxMk5JWkRBQjVZVU1LQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ1MzkwMUpFR1VPOFFES1BGWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks for the summary! I, too, am still researching automatic coop doors. Currently torn between Ador and Omlet.

Thanks for the summary! I, too, am still researching automatic coop doors. Currently torn between Ador and Omlet.
The Ador 1 worked great for the first 2 years I had it. It just started acting up every few days. Sometimes it would only open halfway and only shut halfway. Sometimes it didn't open or close at all and then I had to use the manual open button. I probably did something wrong with it, maybe it got uneven after a while and that's why it stopped working or I just had a faulty part in it

I have the Run Chicken T50 - it does not have a large opening, it's 10" x 8" (when I bought it I was looking at the BOX dimensions, the box it ships in....so I thought it was larger) - but I think it's still ok in that regard. It DOES sense a chicken in the doorway and will not close on them (see https://run-chicken.com/about-model-t50). I like it so far, opens and closes very reliably.
That size would work. I thought it was larger from the images I saw. And yes I did see the safety feature that that door has. The Ador had the same feature and I never had an issue with that shutting on anyone.

Hi there!

I decided to purchase the Omlet chicken door yesterday. It was a hard choice between that one and the run-chicken. I went with the Omlet in the end because there was an adapter that can be purchased so that you don't need to use batteries and it is a different style than the run-chicken. I am very excited for it to get here and I'll keep you updated on how the installation goes and how it works for my flock! Thank you everyone for chiming it! Have a good day :)

TOP Chickens14

I also chose the Omlet Chicken Door. Ordered it yesterday and expected delivery is next Tuesday. I still have to put the roof and walls on my chicken coop house and hope to be finished by next weekend. Have you got you Omlet door installed yet?

Back
Top Bottom