Bonding a Chick to a new Hen

sophiesuds

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 14, 2014
Hi! I don't often post here, and I'm still a little new to the forums. However, I searched for an answer to the situation I'm in with no luck in finding an answer.

I have a 4-week-old Lavender Orpington who, for about a week now, I've raised (in a sort of quarantine) with her "sister," a 2 month old New Jersey Giant. The 4 week chick has bonded to the 2 month chick and will (try) to snuggle, huddle underneath, and even jump onto the back of her very large friend.

While I was going to try to introduce them together to our current flock (four 2-month-old hens and two 7-year-old hens), one of our 7-year-old hens has become VERY broody once again and is even sitting on and cuddling our smallest 2-month-old hen.

My main question is if I were to introduce the 4-week-old chick to the broody hen at night, would the chick be able to bond with the hen even though she had previously bonded with another (much younger) chicken? I don't doubt that the hen would take her in (considering the other chicken she's "taken in" is much older, has more feathers, and is bigger than the chick in question).

The chick is far to old to accept a mommy at this point, even if the hen would accept. A 4 week old chick would be pretty close to the point of weaning anyhow.

Hi! I'm so sorry for the late response! Thank you so much for your advice, which I ended up following. I introduced the New Jersey Giant and Lavender Orpington together to the flock about a month ago.

Interestingly, after being introduced together, the broody hen quickly adopted BOTH the giant 2+ month old New Jersey Giant and the small Lavender Orpington. The three of them go everywhere together, sleep together in a nest box (along with the other, still small, young hen), share food, etc... The New Jersey Giant is now 3 months old and still hangs out with her adoptive mother hen and baby sister!

Back
Top Bottom