Breeding different colored chickens of the same breed?

aggieterpkatie

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Maryland
Hey everyone,

I'm not familiar with breeding different color chickens of the same breed, and don't know what I'd end up with. For example, I have 3 silkies....one white, one blue, and one buff (red?). If I bred the buff rooster and blue female, what color chicks would I end up with?

I also have a black frizzle rooster and red frizzle hen. What color chicks would they produce?

I also have a white and black mottled OEG bantam rooster, and a lavender mottled (with white) hen. What would the produce?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
smile.png

The offspring of a first cross between different colours within a breed are rarely anything one would want for their colour but are usually a route get to another colour or pattern.

I would like to know that also about the colors.
I don't think you are supposed to breed two frizzles together though. I heard that those are called frazzles and their feathers become brittle. Could someone please tell us if this is so.
Good luck

On the silkies a buff roo. to a blue hen you may get buff with blue in it and you may get blue with buff on it...( neck and tail)
You don't want to breeded frizzles to frizzles you will get no feathers or naked... But with the color you may get black with red on it and red with black on it...(neck and tail)
Mottled, I think that you will get both colors in your chicks..

Mottle X mottle will give mottled babies

Mottle X not-mottle will give all mottle carriers, but no mottled

white X not-white is unpredictable

Frizzle X frizzle will give 25% not frizzled, 50% frizzles and 25% curley (frazzle)

red X black will mess up both colours

buff X blue will give some buff birds where blue replaces any black, giving a cleaner look to the bird, but not really removing all eumelanin.

It will also give some blue birds and some with a mix of the two colours. Buff is a complicated colour, and there are several ways to make it,

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the information! I am going to take pictures of my silkies today. I'll post a thread because I'm pretty sure I have 2 cockerels and a pullet, but the white one might actually be a pullet. Also, my 'blue' is very dark, so she might actually be a black. Thansk for the help!

Back
Top Bottom