Buff Orpington

Scooter1A

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
My new buff orpingtons that I raised from Farm and Fleet are laying now at 5 months and the sweethearts are burying their eggs in the straw in the laying box. Today I started leaving the eggs alone because I do want them to be broody. Putting 5 in an incubator to get the new chicks going. Can't wait to see what the sweet buff girls do. I like this breed very much.

I used the incubator with 12 eggs and got 10. Not bad for a first timer. Some are pure RIR and some are buffs crossed with RIR. The rooster got murdered by something, but he gave me a lot of fertilized eggs before he went. They are 3 full weeks old today and doing great. A lady gave me 4 birds a week old, now 4 weeks. I think 2 are black/white silkies and 2 are dark grey with no feathers on their legs or feet so I don't know what they are. Cochin? It's a smaller bird. Sorry I don't have a smart phone to add a pic.

Congrats on the hatch and growing youngsters! Sorry about your poor rooster.

Don't know about the mystery chicks being Cochins if they have featherless legs and feet. It's been a few years, but I think my Cochins showed their "fancy" feet and legs pretty early on.

Best wishes with ALL of your babies!

Back
Top Bottom