Candling at 16 days in the incubator.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
My incubator has been running right at 100 degrees and about 39% humidity.

What is your opinion of clear eggs at this point? Should I wait a few days longer?

If the contents of the egg(s) are slopping around inside, I was turning them gently while candling, is the egg good? Or bad? Or too early to tell?

If the egg is good and it is dark inside, I read that means there is a chick in it. But if there is about as much room below the dark mass as the size of the dark mass, does that mean it will take longer to hatch? Hmm, in other words: Will the (good) egg with the larger dark mass, hatch sooner than if it has a lot of light at the bottom of the egg?

These eggs are in a incubator with a fan and an egg turner. They started out in an incubator with no fan and no egg turner, I candled them when moving them to the new incubator. On 5/21 while candling, I found one of the eggs had an air sack on the side, I had hoped that since the eggs were sitting in a sort of upright position that the air sack would move or grow more to the top of the egg. It hasn't but it has grown. At this point, today - 16 days with a dark mass in the middle, does that mean the egg is still viable?

Sylvia

There is no sound but some of them seem to be moving an awfully lot, at least to me who has never candled before. I don't know if I could get pictures but some of them you would need a video to see them moving. It is very apparent in some of the eggs others they move but not out of a certain area.

It sounds like I have a few infertile eggs. Can that happen even though some of the eggs by the same hen are fertile?

I will check out the link right now. Sylvia

There wont be any sound until at least day 19 when they internally pip, that is when they break into the air cell and take their first breath of oxygen, then they will start chirping inside the egg. It is normal for them to move at this point inside the egg so that it is only visible when candling but they wont start rocking the egg till at least day 19. Hmm, i dont know, i dont keep track of which eggs each hen lays but i dont think it could be. To make sure the egg is infertile candle a fresh egg and then the egg that you think looks infertile, if they look the same it is definitely infertile, by day 16 if there is still light in the egg it is pretty guaranteed that it is infertile or it has stopped developing.

Thank you, I didn't think of that. The sound I was speaking of was if I heard the egg sloshing when I could see the yolk moving. Sylvia

Oh, I thought you meant chirping. :p there is a big difference between moving embryos and dead embryos, if you think the chick is dead just turn it gently upside down, if the yolk/body floats to the top side of the egg it mean it is bad, if it doesn't and the air cell is still at the top than you have a healthy chick.

I thought you might have thought that. The yolks that float don't float to the other end of the egg. They might float all the way around the egg as I turn it or maybe just a little way to either side. I have a couple that I can't find the air sacks so I am waiting to check them again. I candled all the eggs I have incubating today and don't want to bother them again for a couple of days.

Will ALL dead yolk/bodies float to the top of the egg if turned upside down? That would be an easy way to tell so I figure it's not so with all dead eggs. Sylvia

No, sadly that's not the only way just a sure way to tell, when you candled them did you see any red rings? On day 18 they go on lockdown, I usually candle day 12 and day 17, never day 18.

I did see red rings and some times not rings but red blobs. I think I have 2 that are not fertile. One of them has a shell that Susie Sunshine called porous in her article. It looks like it has light and dark freckles but over all it was clear. Sylvia

Back
Top Bottom