Chick scalped by (Hen?) *bloody pics*

GasMenagerie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
California Foothills
One of my chicks - a six week old roo - was (from my best guess) pecked and essentially scalped by on of my grown birds. I found the little guy huddled on the ground. He's still alive but the skin is stripped from his head. He's in shock and not eating or drinking.

Anyone here deal with an injury like this? Should I try to put some neosporin on it and wait a few hours?

Or should I just euth him? He's the largest of my two roo babies. :(

Last edited:
Give him a chance if he is willing... by all means treat with neosporin to his wounds and keep him somewhere warm ( maybe indoors with you ) he will be traumatised by the attack on him and needs some TLC.

Tuna fish may tempt him to eat ....

Good luck!

Put Neosporin on it. I have seen squabs and chicks/chickens recover from worse scalpings. Good luck - if he starts eating, I believe that his chances are good for survival. The 'scalped' area will heal from the outside in with skin eventually covering the entire skull. Be sure that you protect him from fly/maggot infestation.

I have him in a warm, dark box right here next to me. I've dipped his beak in some water and he was smacking his "lips." He is sitting up and puts up a bit of a struggle if I pick him up, so he's not lost his fight yet.

Thanks, Suzie.

I had one scalped like that except it went down the back of the neck and ended between the shoulders. I treated with neosporin then blu-Kote and he healed up fine, even regrew the feathers after the area skinned over. Took a few weeks but I was actually surprised how fast it happened.

Well, he's perked up a bit after I gave him some yogurt via syringe. He has even taken some water on his own -- dish is right by his head - he's not moving around yet.

Well, he's perked up a bit after I gave him some yogurt via syringe. He has even taken some water on his own -- dish is right by his head - he's not moving around yet.

I'm really happy to see you visited the link I provided you. Do you have any honey? If you put that on his wound, it will kill any bacteria and also help to regrow tissue. It's good that he has had some water and yogurt. He's been traumatized and is most likely experiencing shock. He's got a great chance of full recovery with time.

Back
Top Bottom